(Closed) What would you do? Reporting a driver

posted 5 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 3
2571 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2013

Was it a tractor trailer type of truck? If so, they usually have “How’s my driving?” bumper stickers with a number you can call with complaints. If you don’t recall seeing a sticker, do you remember anything about the truck? What company was it? Etc.. If you have that information, you can probably find the company online and find out where to file a complaint. 

Obviously trucks release certain exhaust/emissions, but this seems excessive. Certain states (i.e. Cali) have smog tests for this reason. 

Good thing you got to your destination ok! 

Post # 4
7673 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

@guitargirl:  Maybe I’m lazy/shy, but unless it’s a direct threat (i.e. erratic driving) I wouldn’t report it. Anyway, if the exhaust was that visible, I think the police will notice it soon enough.

Post # 6
221 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

@guitargirl:  I would personally let it go. If this would have happened to me and it has in fact happened to me. I would just let off of the gas….and hang back or pass him.I travel in heavy traffic to and from work each day and there is ALWAYs a way to get away from someone like that.

I think if it is that noticible that the police would catch him and issue him a warning.

There are a lot of bigger fish to fry lke people texting or talking on their cell phones and not being attentive drivers.

Post # 7
1420 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2014 - Turf Valley

Turn the outside  circulation off next time to help with the odor. 

Post # 8
491 posts
Helper bee

I’d let it go, eventually, they’ll get caught anyway.  I would have just switched the air in the car and backed off so I could see. 

Post # 9
2117 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2015

I would also let it go. As PP said, if it’s that bad, he will eventually be stopped. The only time I’ve ever reported a driver was when I knew the person was drunk and had gotten behind the wheel.

Post # 11
3194 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: October 2013

There are a couple of places you could report it if you have the plate number, but you’ll probably be ignored. (I work at a consulting firm in the international automotive industry). your state’s DOT, NHTSA, IIHS and the EPA are the ones I could think of off the top of my head. 

Post # 12
9053 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

Was it a commercial vehicle?  We have a commercial vehicle inspection as part of the ministry of transport here, and they might have something similar.  But vehicles also have to pass an environmental test on a regular basis here.

This probably isn’t something I’d call the police about, but if they did come across it they could also mandate a mechanical inspection, but they’re probably not going to put out a BOLF or something for a truck with excessive exhaust.




The topic ‘What would you do? Reporting a driver’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors