What would you do with 200k?

posted 8 months ago in Money
Post # 46
225 posts
Helper bee

I would just throw it into an index fund and let compound interest do its thing.

Real estate investing is cool and all, but I think I am a little too lazy for it.

Post # 47
5 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: May 2021

I don’t know what I did with 200k, but I recently won 5k at 1xSlots. From this experience I realized that I am a gambler. Because half of it I lost right away. Thank God I had the strength to stop in time. The other half invested in cryptocurrency. What would you have done in my position? Would you have stopped immediately or continued to gamble? 

Post # 48
6309 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2012

Like other’s have said, it’s 100% based on your own personal financial situation. 

Having been in this situation, we first paid off our student loans – which were hovering around $150k combined. We already owned a home, and from there we focused on putting money into updates and improvements. That particular amount of excess money was very much a blessing, and while we haven’t gotten that amount again, we are blessed with DH’s job that “bonuses” come in fairly significant amounts. We continue to use those to invest into retirement and the like. 

We do plan to eventually invest in real estate (we sold our previous home, and bought a new home) but we are looking for the right property and now is NOT the time to buy – at least here in the US.

Post # 49
1306 posts
Bumble bee

Honestly, if you are looking to do something with it, over the long run, statistically, just put it in a market indexed fund and forget about it. It’s the lowest risk option with measurable growth unless you are doing something super short term. 

As for me– I’d a) toss it in my kid’s college savings fund (enough to in expecration grow to cover his costs) and then with the rest I’d add it to our down payment (but that’s not a financial move, its because we are looking for a very specific type o housing that is insanely expensive.)

Post # 50
11 posts
Newbee

View original reply
@butfirstchampagne:  Hi,I would invest in an AIRbnb, its more lucrative than traditional renting and you wont have to worry much about tenants.  You will have to invest in having the property client ready, so they will feel comfortable and have an enjoyable stay. Also you can have complimnetary items in the home for the arriving guest, that will be unique to other property.This is where your reviews will begin to spike and once its positive you will get other clients. Keep in mind that AIRbnb get clients from around the world, so its important to keep your review on a high -end. And this comes with great property management. Hire a full Service Property Management Company to handle all the minor details, ( just make sure and give those companies  a thorough screening, makse sure they are dependable and will be there for you and your property, also read reviews from other AIRBNB they manage). Once you find a great company, relax and do you and wait while you build your clientele, you wont get clients right away or them again you may. But its a better investment than a rental property any day. If it a short term rental  clients are in and out no problem.On top of that you get tax benefits and deductions from being an AIRBNB Host. 

• Purchases for the rental property w/ paper trail
  • Insurance
  • Repairs and Maintenance
  • Property taxes
  • Travel expenditures

Hope this helps in your decision. Also esearch AIRbnb investments and go from there.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors