(Closed) what’re your favorite wines & beers?

posted 8 years ago in Reception
Post # 3
6394 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2011

I <3 a good cabernet, but Oliver Wineries has a great Soft Rose wine. I would think microbreweries would be preferable if they’re just as cost-effective, since they’ll give some local flair :).

Post # 4
996 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I only drink white wine, and I love a great Reisling. My husband likes Merlot and Cab Sauv’s. I’m not much of a beer drinker but I like Miller Chill which is a little “limey” and similar to Corona only a little more carbonated. I think a Corona type beer would be a great choice for an afternoon/summer reception. Coors Light and Bud always seem to go over well with the men too.

Post # 5
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

Wine: These are all under $15, some under $10 but I can’t guarentee all of them are (if you buy by the case it will be cheaper!) Ravenswood, Little Penguin, Yellow Tail, Sterling, Estancia, Selbach etc.

Beer:I like smaller breweries. My favorite is Boulevard Brewery in Kansas City, but they only deliver to the Midwest. I definately prefer an artisan brew rather than a generic American beers like Coors, Bud, Miller, etc. Blue Moon is one of the few mass-produced American beers that I like.

Post # 6
317 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Riesling wine and cider beer. Alchoholic fruit juices ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 7
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: February 2011

If you need a good cheap champagne I recommend Verdi Peach Sparkletini. My brother had it at his wedding and everyone RAVED about it… I found it in the grocery store and it was only $5.49!

Post # 8
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

Ohh, love this thread.  We are hitting up Trader Joe’s for our wine and beer.  They have an amazing selection of wines in the $5-$10 range.  It’s 10% off by the case, too.

We’re still deciding on wines (one pinot, one shiraz), but we think we have the beers settled.

1. Guiness (Irish family, ’nuff said)

2. Secret stash of Young’s Double Chocolate Stout for Fiance, my brother & dad, and me.

3. Murphy’s Irish Red

4. Sapporo or Ashai (I think that’s how it’s spelled)

5. Oranjeboom

6. Honey Moon (Blue Moon’s summer beer)

We love Hoegarten, but I just can’t bring myself to serve this at my outdoor wedding.  The double entendres would never stop Tongue out.

EDIT-forgot to mention we’ll be doing Sake instead of Champagne.

Post # 9
106 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

Oh man, I love both. With wines, the most “friendly” white wines are chardonnays or sauvignon blancs (lots of people are turned off by sweet reislings, which I don’t get because I love them!). And for reds, cab sauvs are great. So are pinot noirs, but they tend to be pricier :/ Keep in mind if you buy it by the case, most wine shops will give you a 10-15% discount. I’d get in touch with a local wine shop. They’re smart and will hook you up!

With beer, microbrew allll the way. New Belgium has a good, accesible beers. Everyone loves Fat Tire (maltier red). They also make an IPA called Ranger that is great. And you can trust any of their seasonals. And the best part about New Belgium is they’re typically available all over the US. In CA you’d likely be able to find Sierra Nevada Pale Ale (a classic and also accesible to most types of beer drinkers). I’m a major beer snob and am semi-familiar with CA microbreweries (more so Oregon and WA), so I’d be happy to give more suggestions if you want ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 10
11325 posts
Sugar Beekeeper

@Stumptown Lady: sorry but I’m going to have to disagree with you (at least as it applies to my circle of family and friends)…. i don’t know ANYONE who will touch a chardonnay. I was starting to wonder why anyone still makes it lol. Most people I know (myself included) prefer a riesling or a pinot grigio over most everything else ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 11
5148 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2011

@Scottielass, Just curious, not trying to be rude, but have you had sake? It’s… an acquired taste. And your average joe would probably rather dump it down the drain than drink it. If you’re set on sake, maybe do that for you and your husband, and still do champagne for the guests.

Post # 12
3344 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I wanted to showcase some local boozey gems.  Also, since our wedding was in the summer we wanted the beers and wines to be light and on the fruity side.  Here’s what we served:

Beer – Stella Artois, Santa Cruz Ale Works Hefeweizen

White Wine – Santa Cruz Mountains Chardonnay, Beauregard Vineyards ($15/bottle purchased on sale at the winery)

Red Wine – Pinot Noir, Carmel Road Winery; Malbec Reserva, Bodega Norton ($12-15/bottle at Costco)

Champagne – Martini and Rossi Asti $10.99 at local liquor store (People were RAVING about this stuff. It is SO GOOD, fruity and light.  Absolutely perfect for a summer afternoon.)

Post # 13
527 posts
Busy bee

We are having prosecco instead of champagne…it’s cheaper and I like the flavor better.  The beers we like and will most likely use come from breweries local to Austin. For beers you can get nationally, I suggest Blue Moon, Sessions (the bottle caps have rock, paper and scissors icons on the inside) and the Sierra Nevada beers.

Post # 14
610 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

@abbyful: Nope, we’re still doing sake.  We love sake, our friends love sake, my parents love sake. If it’s good sake, served correctly, it’s very smooth. 

A lot of people don’t like champagne either.  At least with sake, they only have to down one shot.  We won’t have a bunch of half glasses of champagne sitting around after the toast.

Post # 15
26 posts
Newbee

Some of my favorites are Oak Grove Chardonnay (about $7.99 at Total Wine), Yellow Tail (both Chardonnay and Shiraz). Kendall Jackson also makes good wine–most I have tried have been quite good. I will say that the types of wine people will drink really depends–most of my circle of friends enjoy red wines (cab, shiraz, malbec) and the drier whites (chard and sauvignon blanc). Folks in my family, on the other hand probably prefer sweeter wines like reisling or gewurztraminer. I would say getting a mix is probably good. If you are near a Trader Joes, I would get some cases of each kind–very inexpensive, but drinkable wine.

Post # 16
1776 posts
Buzzing bee

blue moon!!

The topic ‘what’re your favorite wines & beers?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors