(Closed) What's a bustle? (STUPID question, I know….)

posted 6 years ago in Dress
Post # 3
430 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

bustling is ususally for dresses with trains.  It is pretty much when you button up the train to the back of the dress for the reception so the dress doesn’t drag and your train is off the floor do you can dance.

Post # 4
7211 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2015

You bustle a dress with a train… it basically means there’s ribbons (or clips or something) that bring the train up into little “pickups” in the back of your dress so you can dance. Your dress wouldn’t require it and, if it had, they would have showed you how to do it at the shop.

Post # 5
6355 posts
Bee Keeper

It’s not a dumb question. I’ve been engaged and on the bee for over 4 months and I was only 80% sure that it is what PPs said above, before I clicked on this thread.

Post # 7
1357 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

There are different types of bustles, but they all involve sewing in little hooks or buttons so you can take the train of your dress’s skirt and fold it up in some fashion. That way you can walk around or dance at the reception without it dragging around and getting dirty or tripping people. 

Here’s a blog post I found quickly (not mine) that shows a dress before (photo 2) and after bustling (photo 3): http://giddybloom.blogspot.com/2009/08/more-wedding-pics.html

I can’t tell from your photo, but if your dress does have a train that drags on the ground, you will probably want to talk to your seamstress about sewing in fasteners to bustle your dress after the ceremony. I just had my train cut off to avoid it.

The topic ‘What's a bustle? (STUPID question, I know….)’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors