Post # 1
After reading about the poor Bee who melted part of her veil with an iron (and to be clear, I do NOT consider this to be an obviously “duh” thing at all, except maybe to our grandmothers and the few of us that have ironed a lot in our day), I was reminded of the time I saw some college students try to reheat chicken wings in the microwave WITHOUT REMOVING THEM FROM THE FOIL BAG THEY WERE IN. This was in Hong Kong while I was studying abroad, and I was flabbergasted that someone could reach the age of 20 without learning that foil doesn’t go in the microwave. Thankfully I stopped them before they could burn down the dorm.
Another time, also in college (but in the US this time), a girl was heating up her dinner with her fork right there in the bowl. Of course the fork started to shoot sparks everywhere and she couldn’t figure out why. WHY? BECAUSE METAL AND MICROWAVES DON’T MIX!!!! Sheesh!!!!
Then of course there is the wonderful example from How I Met Your Mother when Robin learns the hard way that ties are, in fact, not machine-washable.
What’s the silliest thing you’ve ever seen someone do (or done yourself, haha) that they should have known was a bad idea?
Post # 3
I know someone who siphoned gas, didn’t like the taste then lit a cigarette to get rid of the bad taste.
I had a teacher who admitted to ironing her pants while on her body.
Neither turned out well.
Post # 4
When a very hot dish doesn’t quite make it to the counter after you take it out of the oven and it falls DO NOT try to catch it with your bare hands.
Post # 5
@nhoh: Hahaha oh dear.
I should also throw out there that Darling Husband did not realize that burners on electric stoves stay hot for quite a long time after being turned off. I cannot tell you how many things he has melted by setting them on a burner without first checking it for heat. He’s almost 30.
Post # 6
In college, I was walking across campus and overheard a girl asking her friend what a money order is, and how to get one. I called my mom that instant and thanked her for teaching me that skill. Another time I was at the bank on campus and the teller had to tell a student how to write out a check. My mom got a phone call for that one, too.
I hire a lot of teenagers and about three times a year I’ll have a 16 or 17 year old boy ask me what his maiden name.
Post # 7
Not really a dangerous one but a verrry duh one would be my grandmother trying to find her cell phone. She decided to call it with her home phone then when her cell began ringing (from her dialing it) she stopped and said oh my phones ringing and picked up the cell. She answered it and kept saying hello she looked at us and said they must have hung up then picked up her home phone and tried this again LOL. We all lost it. We told her she called herself and then she laughed too. Best duh moment I’ve ever witnessed.
Post # 8
Once my stepdad ran off the road because he was looking for his sunglasses…they were on his face. Luckily we were all okay but it was definitely a huge duh moment!
Post # 9
@nhoh: omg! is that person okay!? (the one that siphoned gas and lit a cigarette)
Darling Husband and I were at the Apple store at the mall checking out their laptops for me, when a lady in her 40s walked in. Now I don’t mean this in a mean way, I get that the older generation isn’t as tech savy, but….she came in, walked up to the first employee who happened to be in front of us and said in a very upset/annoyed voice “My new iPhone is BROKEN” the employee kindly asked what was wrong with it. She still upset said “it doesn’t ring!” The employee asks to see her phone, she hands it to him, he looks at the left side and says “See this switch? If you see the orange it means it’s on silent.” and flips the switch so it’s no longer in silent mode, hands it back to her. She looks at him all annoyed and says “It’s fixed?! Let me try calling it to make sure.” So the employee pulls out his cell phone and lets her call her own phone. When it rings she gets all happy and leaves.
Post # 10
I once text my friend to tell him that she’d left his phone at the bar I was working in. As he walked in a couple of hours later, I asked him “So did you get my message?” I got the piss taken out of me that night.
Another time I wanted to make pastry, and as I didn’t have pastry balls, I remember my mum telling me I could use beans. But lo and behold I didn’t have beans either. So what other dried goods I had in my cupboard? Corn… Pop Corn to be exact. I have never been so scared in my life trying to dodge hot popcorn bullets when I decided to open the oven to investigate the banging going on. Darling Husband however has never laughed so hard in his life.
My Dad took me to the airport to catch a flight. Parked in the multi-story carpark, got in the lift with me, and then asked me if I happened by any chance to notice which floor of the 8-storey carpark we’d parked in.
Post # 11
Last weekend we were in line at a water park and they had metal stanchions up to split the line. Not one but two people tried to sit on the metal chain between the posts only to crash to the ground. Darling Husband mumbled “that is why america is failing” and the guy behind us in line agreed haha.
Post # 12
we must have had the best microwave ever when I was a kid because I ALWAYS put tin foil, forks, spoons, whatever, in there with my food. never had a fire or any problem but when I got to college, everyone looked at me like I was a dumbass. I reverted to the old way this past weekend and FI’s mom yelled “is that tin foil in the microwave?” “…um, maybe. but look! no fire! and my food is warm! and the container isn’t!” whoops.
Post # 13
@Cariad: I actually had to cover my mouth to keep from laughing out loud at your pastry balls!
Yesterday I went to get gas. I had already put my card, etc. and had turned to put gas in my car, nozzle in hand. I was really confused. Where was my gas tank? I had pulled up on the wrong side! I was so embarassed.
Post # 14
I had a student in one of my college classes last year, burst out in the middle of the professor lecturing, “Wait, so the Earth revolves around the sun? But, the sun moves in the sky!” Poor guy, no one knew what to say, and this horribly long pause ensued.
Post # 15
@iarebridezilla: This was in Hong Kong while I was studying abroad, and I was flabbergasted that someone could reach the age of 20 without learning that foil doesn’t go in the microwave.
I lived in Japan for two years, and you actually can put metal in the microwaves. No one (at least in the rural town I lived in) has full-size ovens, so the microwaves have multiple settings and actually double as ovens and toasters. I was so paranoid the first time I stuck a metal baking tray in there, but nothing so much as a spark ever happened. Maybe Chinese microwaves are made the same way?
As for “duh” stories:
Once at a restaurant, I saw a woman who had just left run back in a few minutes later, panicking because she thought she left her glasses there. The whole restaurant started laughing because they were on top of her head (but hey, I can’t knock her for that, I’ve wondered where my glasses were when they were on my FACE.)
Once my friend lost her car in the parking garage. I had no idea what her car looked like, but I offered to drive her around the garage in my car to look for it. Half an hour later, we finally found it… parked directly across from where my car had been.
Post # 16
When they were transferring the space shuttle on top of that plane, i asked the fiance why weren’t they just flying the shuttle alone? I knew it landed like a plane so I figured they could just fly it! DUH.