(Closed) When did you transition from Mr.& Mrs. FIL’s to a first name basis?

posted 9 years ago in Family
Post # 3
2765 posts
Sugar bee

I just find new and creative ways to avoid saying any name at all!

Post # 4
439 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2009

We never had to make the transition – we’ve always addresses our SO’s parents by their first name…

You could always bring it up seperately to your own parents, ask if it would be ok? Unless your parents are very tradiaional and overly proper I don’t see why it would be an issue… you’re all adults now!

Post # 5
100 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: January 2009

I’m with mr. bee!! I won’t call them mom or dad and I won’t call them with their first names (duh!) but I just usually will avoid it completely!! 🙂

Post # 6
117 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: May 2009

I’m totally with Mr. Bee and nada122.  I just avoid it completely!

Post # 7
2856 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2009

I actually didn’t ask. I think my Future Mother-In-Law had told me to use her first name. My Future Father-In-Law lived with my fiance so when we cohabitated I started calling him by his first name. It was just easier.

I know my Mom requested from the day they met to call her by her first name.

Post # 8
672 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2009

I never used Mr or Mrs to address them — just first names.  Same for my Fiance addressing mine. 

Post # 9
405 posts
Helper bee

I used to call them "FI’sfirstname Mom" but that got weird and was TOO MUCH to say everytime so now I call them by their firstnames. They are very laid back and would be weirded out by Mr. & Mrs. lastname. Same for my parents for my FI; they are first name not Mr. or Mrs. lastname. I think my parents would be weirded out by that. But then again my friends always called them GrumpyBear722’s Mom. LOL Even my coworkers call them that! haha

Post # 10
139 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

It’s always been first name basis for us as well.  I think it would have been weird to call them Mr. and Mrs. X, unless you started dating your Fiance when you were like 15.  I just can’t imagine someone saying to me as an adult "Hi, I’m Mrs. X."  But, all that said, we’re pretty liberal and so are our parents, and I know there are much more traditional and conservative folks out there!

Post # 11
2404 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

good point @BA… my Fiance and I started dating when i was 16 so of course I called his parents "mr. & mrs…" but being 26 now its prob time to start calling them by their first names anyway.

the engagement prompted this transition for sure though..his mom brought up that calling them "mr. & mrs." was too formal now that we are getting married. i’ve yet to call them by their first names as its still awkward for me!

my Fiance still calls my parents "mr. & mrs." and is having a REALLY hard time calling them by their first names..not sure he ever will!

Post # 12
813 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2018

HEY YOU works really well! LOL…

Actually… it can be very difficult to transition. Perhaps just continue to call them "Mr & Mrs" and wait for them to tell you to call them by their first name. It was pretty easy for me, because both of us have older siblings who are married and their wives call the parents by the first name, so it was easy for us to follow suit. (Meaning, my FI’s SIL calls her Mother-In-Law, who will also be my Mother-In-Law, by her first name.) 

Post # 13
2324 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2018

We’ve always been on a first name basis, both sides of the family. Never really thought about it, but it’s been like that from the beginning. Of course, on the the first times I met my ILs, we were already engaged. 🙂 I think they didn’t care what I called them because they were in shock.

Post # 14
818 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: March 2010

I was introduced to FI’s parents with first names, so I never called them Mr. or Mrs.

Post # 15
538 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 1969

I still haven’t made the transition. I call his parents Mr. and Mrs. He calls my mom by her first name and I dont know what he calls my dad? He must not address him too often sicne I dont know.

He was telling me the other day that I need to stop calling his parents Mr. and Mrs., but I dont know what to call them, they sign things Mr. and Mrs. When we get married, he said he is going to call my mom millie, for Mother-In-Law. Which I think is funny.

Post # 16
7431 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

Ha, he calls my mom "Mom" and my dad Mike.  I live with his dad and call him by his first name, haven’t really had to call his mom anything, she told me I can call her mom but that doesn’t feel right to me so I’ll just call her by her first name like I do his dad.

The topic ‘When did you transition from Mr.& Mrs. FIL’s to a first name basis?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors