(Closed) When does it become inappropriate for a brother & sister to share a room?

posted 7 years ago in Parenting
Post # 3
7587 posts
Bumble Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

I have a friend who has a 7 yr old son and a 13 yr old daughter in the same room. I know it’s for financial reasons, but it just seems to me that she needs her own space. 

I think 8 would be the cut off for me. It’s right before things start changing and private parts should become private.

Post # 4
520 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@UpstateCait:  yeah I think once they start asking questions they need to be in seperate rooms. If the house is big enough to have seperate rooms it should happen, in my opinion. 

Post # 5
2232 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

My brother and I shared a bedroom (with our parents!) until I was 10 and he was 8. 

I think 10/11 is the cutoff but then typically parents know their children better. I don’t really see anything wrong with it, it’s just that kids want their own space and privacy. 

Post # 6
1014 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I think it’s ideal to have them in their own rooms, but that’s just not always possible in everyone’s housing situations. I’m guessing because they’re so close in age, they’re probably pretty tight and get along. I wouldn’t think it’s an ideal situation, but I certainly wouldn’t raise my eyebrow at it. 

Post # 7
9482 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

I say a younger age as PPs have posted.  I would cut it off at the age of 6 if possible.

Post # 9
520 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

@UpstateCait:  I know that was the first thought in my mind, unfortunately. I think it’s completely different if they are the same sex children, as I know a lot of girls and boys sharing rooms with their older or younger same sex siblings. 

Post # 10
1212 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

@UpstateCait:  He’ll probably just have to do it in the bathroom then. 

I don’t see a huge problem with siblings sharing a room. Of course, it would be nice for them to have privacy, but if it’s not possible, what’s the big deal?

Post # 12
637 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

@UpstateCait:  I hope that the parents realize how important it may be for their children to have their own space and privacy at some point. Have you kindly offered to help them clean out the basement and fit it out as a bedroom? Or perhaps (if they are not financially able on their own) directed them to a local housing organization that can help them with that?

Post # 14
9053 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

I have a family of 6 female cousins, and the youngest is male.  When we went to our summer cabin our parents used to let us all sleep in the same loft as a group.  It was probably around when he was 8 or 9 that he stopped rooming with the girls, even just for the week that we stay there.  I agree that once they start to have a lot of questions about their bodies, and the female body it becomes kind of inappropriate.  If they had the means to separate them, I think they should.

Post # 15
1894 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

Wow, I think younger than PPs have said. I have a twin brother, and I would say around 5 or 6.  I totally understand if financial circumstances/ housing situations prevent them from having their own rooms, but there should definitely be something in place like a room divider or something so that they have their own spaces and privacy.

The topic ‘When does it become inappropriate for a brother & sister to share a room?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors