(Closed) When does it become inappropriate for a brother & sister to share a room?

posted 9 years ago in Parenting
Post # 47
858 posts
Busy bee

View original reply
@MuchGreater:   Is the attitude really necessary? The OP was asking what we thought an appropriate age was. She also said they have a basement and have been offered help in the past but did take anyone up on it. Sometimes it helps to read the whole thread before jumping on the OP

Post # 48
2151 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

Technnically, puberty begins for girls at 7 and boys at 9…I think any older than 6-7 should not be rooming together…can’t help but feel like unless they’re toddlers, it’s totally weird.

Post # 50
2025 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

I keep forgetting to comment on this thread, but I just wanted to say I don’t think “inappropriate” is the right word, maybe just not ideal. I think if you don’t have the space, then you don’t have the space, but I think unless the kids are really close, it wouldn’t be much fun to share a room as a teenager with any siblings. But before that, well whatever works for the family. I know I wouldn’t personally want to share a room with a boy at any point growing up..they tend to smell. 🙂

Post # 51
1058 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

View original reply
@miss sparkly cat:  I was not aware that it seemed I had an attitude. I was just giving my suggestion. I should rephase what I wrote… it does come off edgy. . . sorry to the OP.

Post # 52
1058 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

View original reply
@UpstateCait:  Sry about the edgy response… I was just looking at it from another perspective. I thought maybe they just couldn’t afford it and needed help. If they need the help— lend a helping hand. Nevertheless, if they are just  lazy parents and do have the funds… I understand the frustration.

Personally, my parents weren’t able to separate my brother and I until we moved. The apartment was a 2 bedroom… -Thats all we had, so we had to make the best of it! Then we moved into our home and we both got our own rooms…. we were ALOT younger though…. it was right before kindergarten.

Maybe you could suggest that the kids need their space and why boys and girls at a certain age should be separated… if the parents don’t get it— the kids may be that way forever! 🙂

Post # 53
671 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

Yeah, as a PP mentioned, very first world/suburban problems. You get used to your own situation. I have a friend who grew up here in Manhattan and shared a bedroom with his sister until their 20s and they finally got their own places. He said, yes, it made for some awkward moments growing up and some good stories, but mainly, they’re just best friends. And likely always will be. 

And don’t worry, I know there were no negative implication from OP, but yeah, as PP said I think ‘ideal’ is a better word. If you didn’t have enough money to house your kids in two rooms, you would likely do without and they would probably be just fine. And you’d be happy you could provide a roof over their heads even if you couldn’t put a wall between them.

Post # 54
3798 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

No limit to same sex siblings sharing for me…but I think with opposite sex siblings, right before age 10 would be my cutoff. That’s just when things start developing and you know the rest. You need some sort of privacy during puberty!

Post # 55
1433 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

like 5. Seriously. 

Post # 56
7286 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

For me, rooms are for sleeping so just crashing in your bed in the same room as an opopsite sex sibling is no big deal! So as long as during the day everyone has some other shared space ( living room, kitchen , outdoors, basement , bathroom, etc) to play, do homework , or whatever then its fine.

In America, I’m sure the cut off age is around 8-10.

Post # 57
514 posts
Busy bee

Um well I shared a room with my brother until we moved from IL to NC when I was in 6th grade. He was in 8th grade at the time. We didn’t have any problems… we were great friends growing up to be honest lol.

ETA: Just remembered we also shared a room for about 6 months after we moved back to IL when I was a freshman and he was a junior in HS.

Post # 58
1136 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

in the uk i think the age is 10 years old and i believe it’s compulsary too obviously laws and regulations are different over here. don’t quote me on that though. 

The topic ‘When does it become inappropriate for a brother & sister to share a room?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors