Post # 1
My workplace decided to enforce a “no flex time” policy for the entire workforce and gave me 1 month to figure out my situation at home to be able to accommodate an 8-5 schedule. However, due to my long commute and the fact that Latchkey is only 7-6 at my kid’s school, this isn’t possible. I would rather find work closer to home than have to pay for babysitters and never see my kids.
I am away for a work trip this whole week and then on personal leave the following week.
Admittedly, part of me is bitter that my management did not try to fight for an exception for me. I have been with this company a long time and have great reviews and my current schedule has never been an issue.
Should I tell them earlier to give them time to find and train a replacement before my “month” is up. Or should I wait until I am back from my personal vacation to give a standard 2 weeks notice?
I’m not concerned about finding a new job right away if that makes any difference.
I don’t want to burn any bridges, but I also do not want to be over accommodating to them when they didn’t extend me the same courtesy.
Thank you for your advice!
Post # 2
standard two weeks notice.
Post # 3
thank You! I feel bad leaving my team members in a lurch, but I know I don’t owe them more than that.
Post # 4
They are not making an exception for you- no need to make an exception for them!
Post # 5
Standard two weeks after you come back for sure
Post # 6
I agree with PPs, you should only give them the standard two weeks.
Post # 7
I wouldn’t give notice until I found another job.
Post # 8
I’d tell them earlier because why not, I’m peacing out anyway. But I also wouldn’t take offense to them not making a special exception for me when implementing a new company-wide policy and even if I was pissed at management, I’m close with all my team members and care about them, so wouldn’t want to eff them over if I could help it. But hey, clearly I’m in the minority!
Post # 9
So my thing is if you ever think you’re going to be in a similiar industry again I would not just leave them in a lurch. Yes what they didn’t wasn’t right, but how doyou know your management didn’t fight for you? Did your direct supervisor tell you this? They’re implementing a new policy at my work as well and some of us are affected, some of us are not it really isn’t something that a manager can fight. It’s workplace wide.
I would be polite and let them know that you are leaving them. Or are you waiting to say until you have another job? I wouldn’t give two weeks notice unless I had another job lined up.
Post # 10
I always say a 2 week notice is adequate as that is the standard.
Post # 11
Two week notice! That is all you should do. I have heard stories of people giving a month, 3 months, whose hours got cut, or got extra work piled on; all unexpected.
It has nothing to do with how nice you or they are or used to be. Stick with protocol. Keep it cordial but businesslike.
Post # 12
Did they say that there was no room to negotiate your needs? If they know it won’t be possible for you to get things in order and make it work, maybe they’d be willing to come up with a more flexible plan to keep you. A blanket, you all have one month, would be different than if your manager said we spoke about your situation and are only able to give you one month to figure out if you can make this work or want to pursue something else. I often assume the worst about my agency, but when I push back for my needs, I have always been accomodated. I spend way more time worrying than I need to. But it has always been in my favor to self-advocate.
Otherwise, 2 weeks is the way I would go. I have seen soooo many people give 1-2/open ended notices. At my agency, these people become so dispensible that they get overworked, separated from the team to do constant work. I wouldn’t want to be doing my job if it weren’t for all the supportive stuff that comes along with it.
Post # 13
Two weeks is all they require and all I would give. Way too many employees have found themselves walking out with one cardboard carton of personal items the minute they give their notice. If you give it now, you could find yourself without salary or benefits for two weeks.
Post # 14
Two weeks is standard, and I wouldn’t give anymore than that unless you have a contract or a policy stating otherwise. As some PP said, some companies or bosses can be vindictive and may either tell you to just leave now or totally make your life miserable for the next month otherwise.
Post # 15
The sooner the better because it’ll give them time to figure out staffing and how to fill the void, just let them know you want to work until a certain date so you’re not without a job.