Post # 1
I’m sure some of you have experienced this situation before. My sister is pregnant and is due June 14th. She lives in New York and I’m in Tennessee. My question is, what date should I buy my plane tickets for? Ideally I’d be able to be there for the birth, but as most pregnancies go, I’m sure the baby won’t actually come on her due date. So, should I buy my plane ticket for before that date? After? If I had more disposable income I would purchase it whenever I knew the baby was coming, but that is not an option because I need to get a cheaper ticket ahead of time.
Is it a better idea to get the plane ticket for after her due date? I don’t want her to go into labor a month early and me have to wait to see the baby for that long. Help!
Post # 3
I’d wait to buy the ticket. There’s no predicting if she’ll be 3 weeks early or 3 weeks late…
Post # 4
It’s so frustrating becuse babies are so unpredicatble. Unless it’s a scheduled c-section, it’s really hard to know when they will come. When my sister was pregnant with her first child, I drove 5 hours to spend the weekend with her when it was her due date because I wanted to be there. She didn’t end up going into labor, so I drove 5 hours home. She had the baby about 2 days later. So, I then drove 5 more hours down there. I missed the birth though, and I was bummed.
Everybody is different, but in my case all the babys have been almost a week later than their due date. Especially if it’s their first child. However, you never know! Wish I had more advice, good luck!!!
Post # 5
I would probably say after the due date instead of before. I’m in a similar situation, my sister is due March 28th & lives in Ky & I’m in Michigan. So what I’m going to end up doing is just waiting and going after she has the baby.
Post # 6
it is such a hard decision! we just went through this with my sister – she is in CA and we are all in MA, we ended up buying our tickets early because last minute tickets are outrageous. We planned to go the week after she was due – and thankfully it worked out since the baby was born the day before we got there. other family flew in for the due date though and they only got to see the baby for a day. Also, my sister said it was really stressful to have people there and waiting for the baby and there be nothing she could do – she almost felt like a “failure” for not going on her due date. I would probably wait as long as possible to buy the ticket and then definitely buy it for at least a couple days after the due date. You could always buy trip insurance and/or pay the change fee if it isn’t ridiculous if the baby goes early or decides to come even later.
Post # 7
huh, I hadnt thought about this.
Darling Husband and I will be the ones to have the baby in another state a flight away.
If it were me I dont think I would want anyone there while I had the baby. I would rather them come after.
If you fly southwest you can change the flight without an additional cost and just pay the flight difference. Surprisingly those flight differences are not that much.