(Closed) When to send out wedding invites? & Save the Dates? Sept 2016 wedding

posted 5 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 2
4054 posts
Honey bee

View original reply
svnnh09:  date twin! 🙂

We also have a large amount of guests coming from out of town. We are sending our STDs in early to mid January. 

STDs are not a requirement as far as etiquette is concerned, so I think it would be ok if you didn’t have your guest list completely figured out before you sent them – I’d just try to have as much of it figured out as possible. 

For your invites, base it off of when you need to give your final headcount to your caterers/venue. We have to give our numbers to the caterers 2 weeks prior, so we are making the RSVP date 8/12/16 – to allow for the inevitable stragglers. Since we are making our RSVP date 8/12, we plan to send our invites by 7/1 to allow time for people to respond. HTH!

Post # 3
1206 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

View original reply
svnnh09: I sent STDs for our September 2015 wedding in February and everyone was traveling at least 45 mins but most were traveling 2-3 hours or more or flying. They usually go out 6-8 months before your wedding so you don’t need to send them now. As far as invites, I sent them out 8 weeks before the wedding and asked for RSVPs back 3 weeks in advance. Our venue needed the final count 2 weeks before so that gave us a week to chase down people we hadn’t heard from (thankfully there were only 3 or 4 outstanding RSVPs). 

Post # 4
1887 posts
Buzzing bee

Commenting mostly to follow. I’m getting married September 17, 2016, with no local guests, and I think we’ll probably send save the dates early next year (Jan or Feb), and invites 6 weeks before. I want FINAL guest lists before we send save the dates, so it’s too early for us now. However, I’ve already started spreading the word to friends & family about the date & location, so they can keep it in the back of their minds when making plans for next year. It’s amazing how many people have already told me they have multiple weddings to juggle next summer!

Post # 5
97 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

I’m getting married Sept 3rd 2016 and we are sending our STD’s in Jan… That way its after the holidays and my STD doesn’t get lost in the jumble of Christmas cards and holiday travels! Most of out family has a 1-2 hr drive too AND it’s a holiday weekend!

Post # 6
604 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2016

Our ceremony is a week or so after yours. Half of our guests are all over the country and need ample time to submit leave packets for work and buy tickets, etc. Because of this we will be sending ours out in late January to early February just so they have plenty of time to prepare. I have no idea when to send invitations though. I’m thinking 8-10 weeks prior. 

Post # 7
299 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

We are getting married September 24, 16 and have a pretty hefty guest list with many people coming in from out of town. I knew early on that I wanted to send out Save the Dates early – we were able to do a combination save the date/holiday card in one and it turned out fantastic! I would definitely recommend 🙂 it was nice only having to pay postage for one! We got these puppies in the mail the week after Thanksgiving. 

Post # 8
220 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: August 2016 - World\'s Fair Pavilion

We’re getting married (out-of-state wedding) the last weekend in August and sent out our STDs in October per our wedding planner’s suggestion. Alternatively, she recommended we send them out first thing in January, but encouraged us to avoid November and December because the cards could get overlooked in the holiday mail madness.

Our invitations are going out in May and we’re asking guest to RSVP by the first weekend in August, giving us three weeks to nag people who don’t reply in time. 

The topic ‘When to send out wedding invites? & Save the Dates? Sept 2016 wedding’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors