(Closed) When to send STD? 7/27/2013

posted 6 years ago in July 2013
  • poll: When should we mail the STDs by?
    End of September (10 months before) : (6 votes)
    15 %
    End of October (9 months before) : (10 votes)
    25 %
    End of November (8 months before) : (5 votes)
    13 %
    End of December (7 months before : (5 votes)
    13 %
    End of January (6 months before) : (13 votes)
    33 %
    End of February (5 months before) : (1 votes)
    3 %
    End of March (4 months before) : (0 votes)
  • Post # 3
    13010 posts
    Honey Beekeeper
    • Wedding: November 1999

We sent our Save-The-Date Cards in mid-June for a mid-March 2013 wedding, so about 9 months out. We are in the same situation as you, with most of our guests having to travel in.  Giving extra notice never hurts!

Post # 7
    3471 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: July 2012 - The Gables Inn, Santa Rosa, CA

For that kind of travel, I’d go with 9 months in advance.  But at the latest, 6 months before– any closer  than that and you may as well wait for the invites.  

Post # 8
    235 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2012

I voted for end of January, because it is after the holiday bustle, and I think that most people invited have heard about the wedding before Save-The-Date Cards go out.  However if you are concerned I’d say end of October would be the best to get it right before the holidays.

Post # 9
    121 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: July 2013

Yeah we were having the same debate… Fiance wants to send like Oct but I think Dec/Jan is fine!

Post # 11
    351 posts
    Helper bee

So glad you posted this because I have been wondering the same thing (and our wedding days are conviently the same!)….do you think it would be bad to send them with our Christmas cards? Honestly, I’d love to save on postage, but I do not know if that would be considered tacky.

Post # 12
    2778 posts
    Sugar bee

@Jessy727:  I asked that on a different thread on the month twin boards and someone pointed out that if its an insert it may get tossed out.  

I was also concerned about it getting lost in the mail at that point.  FI wanted to send them out super early as well but I was thinking in January after the holidays.  As well and I think I am going to stick to that as a plan.

We are the opposite from you.  We are having our wedding on the East Coast because all our family is there but we have to travel to them from Colorado.  So our save the dates will sort of clear up confusion if anything is wondering whether the wedding will be in CO, its also a holiday weekend so we wanted to give them a heads up incase they had plans but would rather come to the wedding sort of thing.

Post # 13
    351 posts
    Helper bee

Well, my original idea is to do magnets and I’m ordering them for close family and friends (people who I KNOW won’t throw them out and magnets so they will be used and kept in a good location)…but my only problem is if my family (some are super uptight, some are really laid back) would think that was tacky throwing it into a Christmas card envelope.

Post # 14
    88 posts
    Worker bee

We are getting married the 4th of July weekend of next year & i sent out our save the dates 3 weeks ago! I know people like to plan vacations around that week so I figured I’d get the notice out asap! We too did magnets & used magnetstreet.com to order them. Very inexpensive for magnet save the dates which may help deciding to send them to all guests vs. Just some! 

I def. Believe in “better early than late” 🙂

Post # 15
    310 posts
    Helper bee

@MissMeeksy:  We’re the exact opposite of you.  We live in D.C., but my wife is from Aloha, OR.  So, her family is going to have to fly out to the wedding.  Since they’re a fairly frugal lot, we wanted to give them as much notice as possible.  So, I put my Save-The-Date Cards in the mail today.  They’ve been asking us about the date pretty regularly since we visited last month, so we figured it was never too early.

Post # 16
    289 posts
    Helper bee

@MissMeeksy:  I would send them out now.  Go with your gut in thinking that people need advanced notice to arrange travel plans and keep an eye out for flights.

The topic ‘When to send STD? 7/27/2013’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors