(Closed) When to send thank you notes?

posted 12 years ago in Etiquette
  • poll: When is the best time to send thank you notes?
    Send it right after you receive the gift. : (36 votes)
    75 %
    Send it after the wedding. : (12 votes)
    25 %
  • Post # 17
    752 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: October 2016

I agree, Niki! Thank yous are such a small, easy way to let someone know that you appreciate their efforts, yet they’re too often neglected!

Post # 18
    123 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: December 2010

Echoing everyone here- people get worried that you didn’t recieve their gift.  So, better to send them right away.

Post # 19
    29 posts
    Newbee
    • Wedding: September 2011

View original reply
    @rosychicklet: love this idea. I think I’ll do the same.

Since we have an online wedding registry, I wasn’t sure if it was rude to not send a thank you right when I got the announcement- cause we don’t actually get access to the monies for the registry items until after the wedding. Sending a thank you wedding pic in the cards is a good way to go about it I think. Thoughts?

Post # 20
    241 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I just talked with my mom this weekend who send an extended family member a gift card (for shower) and substantial check (for wedding) about 3 mos ago.  The check has not been cashed and no thank you note has arrived for either one yet.  She is now  worried that they have been stolen.  So moral of the stroy, cash checks in a timely fashion and write thank you notes like Emily Post suggests.

http://www.emilypost.com/weddings/wedding-registries-gifts-and-thank-yous

Post # 21
    5109 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: November 2011

I think thank you notes should be sent out asap after the gifts are recieved. 

Post # 22
    3253 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2011

I wish I would have seen this thread six months ago!

I waited to write all of our Thank You notes because my mom and Mother-In-Law told me it’s polite to wait because you’re not supposed to actually open the gifts until you’re married… Haha I totally disagreed but took their advice. It would have been so much easier to just write them as I went!

The topic ‘When to send thank you notes?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors