(Closed) When to start taking prenatal vitamins

posted 9 years ago in TTC
  • poll: When did you start taking prenatal vitamins?
    1-2 months before TTC : (9 votes)
    13 %
    3-4 months before TTC : (24 votes)
    36 %
    5-6 months before TTC : (9 votes)
    13 %
    7-8 months before TTC : (1 votes)
    1 %
    9-10 months before TTC : (0 votes)
    11 months before TTC : (0 votes)
    1 year before TTC : (13 votes)
    19 %
    Longer than a year... please explain : (7 votes)
    10 %
    Did not start taking them until we were pregant : (3 votes)
    4 %
  • Post # 17
    305 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

I always take them. Start taking them as soon as you want. They usually don’t do any harm, but ask your doc and don’t take other multivitamins with it without asking the doc first. I’ve been taking them for years, they’re just vitamins and they keep my blood work healthy. ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 18
    305 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

@MrsSaltWaterTaffy:  I’ve found that doctors recommend them as soon as you are of childbearing age. Osteoporosis and many other problems can be prevented by taking your vitamins in your earlier years. You can still deliver a healthy baby without vitamins, of course, but waiting to take them until a month before you’re TTC is arbitrary and probably won’t make a difference one way or another ::)

Post # 19
    494 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: June 2013

@urchin:  So glad you didn’t take that the wrong way, haha. Men get to make fancy new sperm day in and day out, but we’re stuck with the same old eggs… getting older by the minute ๐Ÿ™ HA!

Post # 20
    144 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

@abbyful:  Very true, I could have just said multivitamins vs prenatals, which is usually have 1 mg vs 0.4 mg.  I see some people mentioning 400 mg – it is actually 400 mcg (micrograms not milligrams) which is equal to 0.4 mg- just want to avoid confusion on this!

Post # 21
    776 posts
    Busy bee

I started taking them over a year ago (we will be TTC after we get married in 5 months… eeep 4.5 months I mean). But we were not anything for protection except withdrawal, so while I have a lot of faith in our ability to do that properly, it just seemed like a smart thing to take them just in case. I have read that taking them for a year prior can reduce your chances of miscarriage. But also, research is coming out that questions the now-common practise of loading cereals with folic acid to prevent neural tube defects in the babies of women who don’t take folic acid and/or have unplanned pregnancies. Apparently that much folic acid for people OTHER than women about to TTC is not great for your health, and over the long term can increase risks of some cancers. If it’s an issue of expense, I’d say just do what most doctors suggest and start about 3 months before. If you can afford it, start earlier. Mainly because a pregnancy might be unplanned. Also a good idea to do a pre-TTC doctor’s appointment, where they will test you for immunity to rubella and chickenpox as well as anemia, and if you ask they might test your folic acid levels in case you are one of the few people who has really low levels and is really at risk for those issues, meaning you should definitely load up on folic acid, the earlier the better! Good luck ๐Ÿ™‚ I can’t wait to be TTC soon, feels like I’ve been waiting foreverrrr

Post # 22
    1043 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

@araneidae:  I have never heard that too much folic acid can be bad for your health.  In fact, many cardiologists prescribe it to their patients because of the good it can do for your heart.  Folic Acid is a B vitamin, meaning your body does not store it in fat.  You pee out whatever your body does not need.

I take PNV all the time (have for years) and I’m not actively TTC.  Many also have iron which can be very beneficial as well.

Post # 23
    776 posts
    Busy bee

@country chic:  Yes, just like most compounds, at different levels it has beneficial effects on certain systems and harmful effects on other systems. It’s a delicate balance. Here is a link to the article that my friend told me about: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/life/health-and-fitness/health/conditions/too-much-folic-acid-a-cancer-risk/article572615/

I too figured it was just the more the better but I suppose not. The study found that elevated folic acid levels led to higher breast cancer rates in rat’s offspring. This has not been found in humans, but I also don’t think anyone has looked for it yet in humans. 

I don’t think it means ‘let’s all stop taking folic acid before getting pregnant’, just realize not to pop them like candy or take them unless you need them, there’s heavy stuff in there!

Post # 24
    101 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

We originally had decided to start TTC this December, and I decided that I may as well get startd on the prenatals, so I started taking a cheap HEB brand this June. We moved up our TTC date to September, so I’m glad I started taking them! As for other preparation, I’ve been eating healthier and working out moderately for the past 6 months or so (down 20 pounds! woo!), not necessarily for TTC, but just for my health. I don’t have any plans to cut out alcohol or my occasional junk food for now. Once September hits and we start BD for realz, I’ll be drinking less.

Here’s a funny tidbit for y’all.. When I told my DH I wanted to go on prenatals to start preparing my body, he flipped out! Why? He thought taking prenatals meant you had to get pregant like, NOW, or that the vitamins would hurt my body if I wasn’t pregnant.  Hehe…

Post # 25
    1319 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

I started taking pre-conception vits the month before we actively started trying. Exercising and having a healthy diet as early as poss are definitely very beneficial I think (and good for you generally too of course) ๐Ÿ™‚ Good luck!

Post # 26
    1319 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

@dramabean:  haha! that’s so funny. Men do have some strange ideas sometimes don’t they.

Post # 27
    12326 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I’m supposed to start cutting the caffine months before trying too!!?? aaahh!!  ๐Ÿ™

Post # 28
    470 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: October 2010

I said 1-2 months before trying, but I’ve been faithfully taking a women’s multi vitamin for over a year already. My doctor said that was enough (400 mcg folic acid among other things) to be taking before we were actually pregnant. I’ll switch to prenatals when we actually start TTC or when I run out of this bottle of multis, which ever comes first. 

The reason I didn’t just start on prenatals is 1)they were a lot more expensive; 2) they often have less calcium than a regular multi (I believe it’s because of the interaction with the iron in the prenatal, or something like that). Since I’m somewhat lactose intolerant, I need the calcium more than the excess folic acid and iron. I also take a B Complex sometimes. 

The other stuff its great to start earlier. I’m also weaning myself down off of coffee so I don’t have to quit cold turkey.

The topic ‘When to start taking prenatal vitamins’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors