Post # 1
I’m not pregnant (will start TTC next year), but one of my friends recently had a baby. She went a day over due-date and they induced her. Back in the 1970s, my mom went 2 months over due-date with my sister and they didn’t induce.
To me, a day or two seems a bit jumping-the-gun to induce. I can see when it becomes weeks, or if there is a reason such as the fluid drying up, but “just because”? (And my mom’s pregnancy seemed a bit extreme, that they should have induced her.)
How soon would you want to be induced?
Post # 3
@abbyful: Holy jeebus 2 months?! Wow, how much did your sister weigh?? I would probably let it go a couple weeks. My daughter basically walked out on her due date though….so fingers crossed haha
Post # 4
I don’t remember how much she weighed, but she was a “normal size baby”. My mom kept going in for her apointments and the doctors were like “well, she looks fine, she’s just not ready to come out yet!”
Then when my mom had me, I was only 2 weeks late. (Only, haha!) But they didn’t induce for me either.
Post # 5
The only time that I think that being induced should be an option is if the baby and/or the mother is in danger. Nature should be allowed to take its course, if at all possible.
Post # 6
Yeah, a close friend of mine just had a baby. She didn’t need to be induced because the baby came out the day before they were schedule to be induced. If she would have been induced, it would have been 4 days after the due date.
Like you, I always thought you had to wait a week or so before being induced. But my friend was really uncomfortable like a week before the due date. Whenever I do get pregnant, I would love to have my child be full term than early because it’s better for the baby. I think the decision to be induced should be something the doctor decides. If the baby still needs to grow, I’m sure I’m happy with being induced a week or later after the due date. If it’s healthy at time of the due date, I’m fine with that day or the day after.
Whatever the doctor thinks is best for me and the baby.
Post # 7
I was induced 10 days past my due date. That’s cause they were afraid my daughter would get too big to have her naturally….plus I was MISERABLE by that time and I just wanted her out!!! LOL!
So I think at least a week but a day or two is just two early In My Humble Opinion.
Post # 8
Usually the doctor is the one that decides whether or not to induce. I think the most I’ve ever heard is 2 weeks. Anything over seems like a miscaluclation in due dates. I find it hard to be beleive your mom went over by 2 mths, no disrespect but that sounds more like a miscalculation than anything.
Post # 9
I think for me it would depend on the size of the baby and position etc… If it was ok for baby to stay that’s fine (I think) but if the baby is getting too big that might be another story.
There’s a lot of factors that (are supposed to) go into the decision to induce.
Post # 10
Inducing does not have to be the doctor’s decision!! Unless there is a medical reason for it, babies should be allowed to come when they come – they will come out! The placenta does start to age, so obviously things can’t go on indefinitely but due dates are estimates, they aren’t set in stone, so there is no reason to jump the gun on inducing.
Just as an example, if I were to get pregnant this month (testing weds!) my doctor would give me a due date based on my last period of July 20, 2011. BUT, since I used an OPK, I know that I didn’t ovulate until day 22 and will have a long cycle this month of almost 5 weeks which makes a more accurate due date July 27th. That’s a pretty wide range right there. So do I listen to my doctor and let her induce me because I’m past the day she set for me? Um, no.
A due date is a best guess, nothing more, so babies should be allowed a chance to come when THEY are ready and when your BODY is ready, not when you doctor is ready.
Post # 11
I got induced 6 days BEFORE my due date. I was scared of actually going into labor if we went somewhere and having to drop everything to go to the hospital while I was babysitting. My OB let me decide if I wanted to do it because he said everything looked good for me and the baby looked healthy in the ultrasound so I induced. After he was born we found out that if I had gone full term I could have lost him because the cord was wrapped around his throat so tight that he almost didn’t make it and if I waited there would have been no chance of him serviving.
Post # 12
“I find it hard to be beleive your mom went over by 2 mths, no disrespect but that sounds more like a miscalculation than anything.”
My mom had been going to the doctor the entire time she was pregnant, she ended up with more than 9 months of doctor visits.
And remember, a woman’s due date is based off of her period, not conception date. And not all women ovulate on “day 14”. So it could have been she was only a month actually overdue, but by her due date it was 2 months.
The record for an overdue baby is almost 4 months.
Post # 13
I think that at the end of three weeks past my due date I might start to consider it. But I am as anti-induction as you can be, so it would really take a lot to get me to consider it if the baby wasn’t at risk. Induction increases the risk of complications and C-Section. I don’t see why just going past my due date is a good reason to make medical decisions that could put myself or my baby at risk. (just my opinion for my own self and baby). And if there are no complications, it will be my decision, not the doctor’s decision. Although I went with a midwife just for that reason, since so far baby and I are both very healthy, and I haven’t had a reason to see a dr.
Post # 14
My nephew who was born 3 weeks ago had his umbical cord around his neck, too. They don’t know how long it was around his neck. They didn’t have to induce the birth but he was born 2.5 weeks before the due date. He was still full term (37 weeks). I think the due date is techniquely (sp?) 40 weeks. They were concerned because his stomach did look smaller than normal in the ultrasound on the day before she gave birth. They did try to get a second opinion because they too were concerned about inducing the baby too soon. But I’m glad my nephew decided to come out on his own but still early enough to catch the umbillical cord problem.
Post # 15
Although I am not and have never been pregnant, where I’m from they don’t let you go more than 10 days past your due date.
Post # 16
I was nervous about waiting because I have a friend who lost her baby because the cord was wrapped around his nexck and she wanted to wait until he came on his own. The day after he was due she stopped feeling him move…she had lost him and they still made her go threw the whole birthing process anyway. I was afraid of that happening to my boy (I was bron with the cord around my neck too) so I didn’t want to take any chances and I was right. I had absolutly no complications with getting induced, the drugs worked fine and my baby survived because of it. I’m defenitaly getting induced with my second child as well.