(Closed) where did you & mom shop for MOB dresses?

posted 8 years ago in Family
Post # 3
1566 posts
Bumble bee

We got hers at macy’s — definitely not matronly 🙂

Post # 4
7152 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2010

I am still searching, but so far JCPenney, Macy’s, and Dillard’s have some pretty good options.

Post # 5
1288 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2010 - Indiana Memorial Union

My mom got a Bill Levkoff bridesmaid dress. We were looking for a pretty specific color that just wasn’t seasonal enough for department stores. If she doesn’t like the MOB designated-dresses (I don’t blame her), try the bridesmaids too.

I think my fmil bought hers from Nordstrom, but I’ve been really un-involved with that.

Post # 6
244 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2010

My mom looked at Bloomingdales, Neiman Marcus, Macy’s, and Nordstrom.  She actually ended up with two dresses–one for the ceremony and one for the reception (we have a 3 hour split with church wedding and black tie reception).  I believe her ceremony dress ended up being from Macy’s and her evening dress was from Bloomingdales.  My mom really didn’t want a frumpy look (I mean she’s 60 and a size 4, who would want a frumpy dress ;)) and it took her a loooooong time to pick dresses but I think she’s finally happy with her choice.

Post # 7
4465 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

My mom got hers from David’s.  I believe it’s a bridesmaids’ dress.  Definitely not matronly at ALL.

Post # 8
521 posts
Busy bee

I’m the mom and I will (hopefully) be the bride later this year. My daughter is 21 and I’m 49! She is built like a mannequin (that’s a compliment) so I know I could tell her any color and she could find a lovely dress, everything looks good on her. For me, not so much. I am in weight watchers and hope to be down a couple of sizes by the wedding. Still, I will most likely be a size 16 or 18 for the wedding. I have a lovely black dress I got at Macy’s in case we do the courthouse wedding sooner for insurance reasons (only if we decide we will have a wedding later, make the full commitment). I looked at  mob dresses online looking for one for me. Most SUPER matronly. I will most likely get a bridesmaid dress from DB in Red, or I may get a dressy dress (that’s not all black) from Macys. They have a good selection of plus size dresses online. Best of luck to the two of you!

Post # 9
14186 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2009

macy’s flagship store, right around December, when they had lots of elegant, formal, yet non-matronly gowns. my mom died at the idea of a jacket and i died when she tried on prom dresses, haha. neiman marcus can be hit or miss

Post # 10
2058 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

My sister (MOH) and I went to Nordstroms with my mom and found her an amazing dress – – it was on sale and then she had a $150 gift card from Chanukah, so in total it was a win/win amazing deal Laughing

Post # 11
472 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Goodwill.  Seriously.  She paid $12 for it—origianlly from Ann Taylor with the price tags still on it.  My Future Mother-In-Law bought hers at David’s and although it’s pretty I think she paid way too much for it.  But obviously I was raised to be frugal by my mom 😉

Post # 12
4001 posts
Honey bee

My mother was really afraid of the matronly look.  We went to a bunch of stores but we ended up getting her dress at Bloomingdale’s. 

Post # 13
950 posts
Busy bee

I ditto @Miss Ribbons & @hotchildinthecity: bridesmaids dresses are definitely a solid option.  My mom picked out one that has a sheer high neck collar with no sleeves from Alfred Angelo – definitely NOT matronly! 

Since I’ve got two ceremonies, mom needs two dresses…she found her other one at a local boutique.  Your local boutiques probably have some original, non-matronly, but “age appropriate” stuff (both MOB & MOG have stated that, while they want to look non-matronly, they don’t want to blend in with the younger set), that’s unique & looks great.  Maybe check those out. 

Post # 14
1246 posts
Bumble bee

My mom wants a pants suit, and we are having a terribly hard time finding something 🙁

The topic ‘where did you & mom shop for MOB dresses?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors