- 7 years ago
- Wedding: March 2012
Just need a place to unload, and love all the great advice on the Bee. I’ll make this brief. I grew up a military brat, and have lived all over the world. We settled in Georgia for High School- I stayed here for college b/c of Hope scholarship, and just when I thought I was leaving for law school I received a scholarship I couldn’t refuse. I always promised myself I would still get the hell out of here. I am NOT a fan of Atlanta. I’m sorry, but out of all the places I’ve lived- the south has been by far the most backward. And, yes racism is still loud and proud. And yes, interracial couples still have it bad sometimes such as not getting served (right here in Atlanta). So, since I was 14 I have always said I was going to move.
Fast forward to 2011. I’m engaged to my wonderful Fiance who is from Atlanta and loves it. He’s never lived anywhere else (has hardly been to any other states), all his friends are here, and his momma has some serious separation anxiety (even though they’re not close in the lease bit) . On our first date, I told him I plan to get the hell out of here. So, I don’t know why it comes as a surprise to people now that it’s time to register for bar exams. Fiance is totally on board with moving wherever I want to go to be happy. My parents (and entire family) live in Northern Virginia (and we’re DAMN close.) So, DC has been on my radar for a while. We both LOVE DC.
Here’s where we’re at:
- I’m going to be a lawyer (t-minus one year) OR am really really interested in going into lobbying (still trying to figure out how to get into it)
- He’s an accountant and already has his Masters. Hence his degree is mobile
- Atlanta isn’t the worst place on earth. There are cool things to do.
- There are cool things to do in DC
- Atlanta is cheap in prices. We can get a BIG house in the next couple of years.
- DC housing market? Whoa that’s expensive. We’d have to live in burbs which is fine-but would our dollar still go far ( I hope we get paid more)
- We have no friends in DC (yet)
- ALL his friends are here. Mine too however mine are TOTALLY understanding about my dreams
- I guess I could stay here and live out my days. I don’t think I’d mope every single day
- I would also be giving up my ultimate goal of relocating
- Is DC any better than ATL?
- Atlanta legal market is hurting really badly- moreso than the national average
- DC legal market? I want to do criminal work (prosecution or non-profit)
- I do not have a job lined up in any city
- Lobbying does not require a bar exam, but I’d probably take it anyways unless I get a lobbying job first (highly unlikely)
- Raising a family in DC area vs. Atl? I already know ATL rocks for raising children. Weak hearts run in my family (anyone over age of 29 and pregnant dies or their baby dies) so we’re going to try for a baby when I turn 27-29, and hope to be settled in a home by then. I’m 24 now. So, no try it out for a few yrs, take another bar exam etc. Wherever I take bar exam, we’re going to be for a while lol.
Whew. Thanks guys for any and all input. I’m tired of my hair falling out over this.