Where should we have our wedding? ~$10k, living in Europe, US-based, 50-100 ppl

posted 5 months ago in Logistics
  • poll: Where should we have our wedding?
    Mexico : (9 votes)
    45 %
    Colorado : (6 votes)
    30 %
    DC area : (0 votes)
    Midwest : (1 votes)
    5 %
    Elope with immediate family : (4 votes)
    20 %
    Wait until we know where we're going to live, then decide : (0 votes)
    pick point in US equidistant from guests and host it there : (0 votes)
  • Post # 2
    2900 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

There really isn’t an ideal location (I know, obviously, because that’s the point of the post). I would love to say Colorado or DC because I would think it would be best to have it by at least one of your families, but you seem to have a lot of cons for those locations. I voted for Mexico because it seems like it might be easier for you to try to gather everyone in a new spot rather than choose either of your homes.

Post # 3
    6867 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

What part of the DC metro area are you  talking about  that there’s “lots of confederate flags outside the city”? That’s One of the most liberal parts of the country.

Post # 4
    281 posts
    Helper bee

Hello,

Our situation is somewhat similar to yours. I am American, he is German and we live in Germany. His family and are friends are all based in the Düsseldorf area and mine are distributed through out the USA, Europe and Australia (where I went to grad school.) No matter where we hold a wedding it’s going to be a destination wedding for someone.

Therefore we made two basic decsions:

a. Keep the wedding small, under fifty people

b. Chose a beautiful location that guests in general  would enjoy, but also meaningful to us. 

Since every option will be a destination wedding for someone I have found it important to remember that more notice (send out invitations  or save the dates earlier than normal) and a realistic approach are good to have. For example, a friend from Australia has RSVP’ed for our Tennesse wedding…whereas family that live in Wisconsin have sent their regrets. Your guests could really surprise you and I think around 25% attendance is pretty normal if most guests have to travel. 

My fiance and I will end up having two very small weddings over a two year time frame. Our Tennesse wedding is nearly an elopement with maybe around 25 guests and arranged through a wedding vendor. Our Catholic German wedding likely Mass and then a nice dinner.

Could two small weddings be possible for you? It’s tricky being an international couple. 

I wish you all the best and congrats both the wedding and grad school 🙂 

Post # 6
    2900 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: May 2016

betweentwolungs :  I didn’t mean to imply you were being negative. I just think that you may have perhaps (subconsciously?) already crossed DC and Colorado off your list by the emount of cons you have. A positive by doing so is that you do not have to essentially choose one side over the other.

Post # 7
    1535 posts
    Bumble bee

First, who *must* you have at your wedding? DH and I met in Zambia and wanted to have a small wedding (like 10 ppl) there. But I *had* to have my Nana there, and travel that far for her would be iffy. Then my Dad, who I had to have there, said he wouldn’t go (even tho it would’ve saved him a TON of money…) So we switched our plans.

Once you know who you must have there, think about how possible it is for them to attend different locations, and how likely they are to do so. Honestly, there are TONS of cheap economy tickets to Europe right now, I mean I just saw Biz Class RT from a few different location in the US, to London and Paris for under $1200, for this summer.

If you want to get married soon, I think you could easily pull something off before July if you’re doing it locally!

Post # 9
    1037 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2011

betweentwolungs :  I vote midwest, specifically Chicago!  It’s a great city, there are tons of resources to make planning from afar easy, and most importantly it’s easily reachable from any national or international location, often with direct flights.  If the largest concentration of guests live there, it would be nice to make it “destination” for as few as possible.  

Post # 11
    281 posts
    Helper bee

Chicago is a great travel hub for nearly everyone. My Fiance and I travel from Germany back to the USA yearly and typically fly to o’hare because it’s reasonably close to my family in the midwest  and quite a good financial choice because most airlines have a hub there or their partner airlines do.

Chicago would also be a lot of fun and probably weather cooperative during in the summer.

If you’re looking to do less overall planning and more inclined towards fixed prices (like I am…) the Mexico small wedding/elopement option could be a big blessing. Sure you might have less control over the smaller details such as flower types, centrepieces, music, overall look of the venue etc but if you want something intimate, beautiful and relatively stress free I cannot reccomend this option enough.

Fiance and I have booked a wedding package and so far it’s been a great experience, stress and drama free. While our wedding does have an ‘overall look’ and theme, what is most important: having our relatives together in a beautiful environment has been achieved. Also, fiance and I are budget conscious and with an all-inclusive vendor a lot of the ‘how much will this end up costing us?’ has been removed. This is a great option if you end up, like me, coordinating everything from overseas. 

Leave a comment

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
    I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors