(Closed) Where were you when 9/11 happened?

posted 6 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 4
2831 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

I remember turning on the TV before school and wondering if this was real? I was a sophomore in HS. I am in California but I remember being worried about my Aunt who works in LA at the BofA Building.

Post # 5
2202 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I was in grade 9, in science class, our teacher got called out into the hallway and came back looking in shock, he told us what was happening and pulled out a tv that was in our class and we turned onto the news, we ended up staying in that classroom until the end od the day watching the news and talking about our feelings. It helped a lot to not be sensored as to what was happening. I live in canada and it was a pretty powerful moment i will never forget.

To those who lost loved one’s and to those who lost their lives, i am thinking of you today. xo 

Post # 6
1202 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

senior in high school, at home getting ready for school. Turned on the tv, daily routine, and saw the image of the plane crashing into the building. At fist I thought it was a movie. Also thought to myself, why are they playing movies so early, as i always had it on one of the basic news channels. Then the terrorist alert pop up on the screen. All day at school, every class, we were just watching the news. I  live in  Los Angeles. 

Post # 8
2214 posts
Buzzing bee

I was a freshman in high school in physics.  When my teacher found out, he put a tv on the classroom, and I think we just watched footage of it the rest of the day.

Post # 9
1695 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: March 2012

I was a freshman in college.  I was getting ready for class and I had the radio on.  Classes were cancelled all that day.  We all sat together for hours and tried to get in contact w/our families.  I was far away from home and it was very scary. 

Post # 10
530 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2012 - Hacienda los Agaves

I was in 7th grade, I was getting ready for school and realized my parents were not in the kitchen, I went into their room and they were sitting in their bed watching the news with mouths open. MY dad explained that a plane crashed and that was it, evryone was tense at school and then the rumor started that a second plane crashed and a tower fell. We’re pretty far away so it wasn’t a great impact till that happened, then everyone knew this was no accident, it was bad very very bad.

I remember spending the rest of the day avoiding news, I was so scared, people were talking about wars and bombs. I remember looking at images of the towers everywhere, the entire world felt on pause for days and I’m not even american. I get chills to this day, it’s so tragic.

Post # 11
788 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I was in grade 10, in business class, and was on MSN chatting with my brother, who lived in Ottawa at the time. He told me what was going on, as everyone from his work place had been evacuated. He sent me the link to the news reel from CNN, at which point I clued my class in on what was happening. It was literally the only time I did not get in trouble for being on MSN messenger in high school. It was a really weird day all around. Despite being all the way in Canada, everyone was afraid and the teachers didn’t have answers. It felt like the day passed in a haze.

Post # 12
857 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

Sophomore in college, in Virginia. I remember being FURIOUS my classes werent cancelled and  most people were freaking out over the Pentagon and thinking Richmond (where I was) would be next, instead of the WTC.. As a native NY’er, this was the furthest thing from my mind – I was most concerned about my friends, family and city.

Fiance was here in NYC for it, though. He was stuck in traffic on the Verrazano Bridge and watched the whole thing unfold…

Post # 13
2401 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I was in third grade. I was getting ready for school. My mom pulled us into her room and sat us down on the bed. She looked at her tv and said, “I want to explain what is going on.” (She has always been very open) I remember sitting there looking blank at the tv. I was young, and I didn’t know the damage that just occured. The second plane hit and my mom burst into tears. That’s when I knew it was bad. She kept us home and cuddled with us the rest of the day.

Post # 14
2906 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

I was living in Queens with my best friend from college at his dad’s house. I was looking for work and having a pretty tough time of it. My friend and his dad were both at work when I woke up, so I was alone in the house. I went into the kitchen to make breakfast and I heard the neighbor’s TV turned all the way up, which made me think something was going on. So I turned on the TV and saw the news reports, just in time to see the first tower fall. By then, the phone lines were jammed and I couldn’t get through to anyone. My friend was working at the Empire State Building and I was really scared for him. 

My dad finally got through on the phone around noon. I had been scheduled to go to a pre-law school conference at the WTC a week later, and Dad had the dates wrong and thought I was there that day. The way he cried when we finally heard each other’s voices – I’ve never heard anything like that. 

My friend made it home in the early afternoon. He’d walked across the bridge, then got a ride home from a stranger who was picking people up and driving them to their homes. His dad got back a little bit later, and we borrowed his car and tried to get to a hospital to donate blood, but they were turning people away. So we went back and just glued ourselves to the television for the rest of the day. 

Post # 15
278 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2013

I was in the 9th grade, it was early – around 10am or after. I was walking between classes and someone came up to me and asked if I had heard? They went on to explain that a plane crashed into the WTC. Now, being a young Canadian at the time, I had no idea what the WTC was.

Our school basically shut down. Every class had a TV in it, and we watched the horror unfold. Our news stations were already reporting it – and Canada was already trying to figure out what we were going to do to help. Sending blood, as I recall, was a big one.

As the news unfolded, I remember feeling dumb-struck that something like this could happen. It was after this point that I became very interested in the world around me and I now try to keep myself up to date on what is happening here, in the US, and around the globe.

I still feel heart-sick, when 9/11 rolls around for the families affected by this :C

edit: After reading another post, I wanted to comment that a big scare also went up in our province. We have a lot of power plants and such and everyone assumed that since we have a close working relationship with the US that Canada would be next. So many theories went up about who/what would be targeted. It was scary :

Post # 16
4465 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I was in college about 1.5 hours north of NYC.  I was in the library and some people came by to say we should get back to our dorms, because the World Trade Center had been attacked.  My friend’s dad works in the WTC, so I rushed back to check on her.  She was a wreck because she couldn’t get ahold of her dad for hours.  All our phones (cell and landline) were down and the internet was down.  Her dad was fine.  She finally got an update in the evening when he had walked home to their apartment in Queens.

I couldn’t get a hold of my parents either.  When I got in touch that evening, I learned that my whole family was a complete wreck, because the news was saying that they were coming “up the Hudson” and could be attacking colleges next. 

I’ve lived in NYC for the last seven years.  It’s a very sad day here.  My bus even pulled over this morning for a moment of silence. 

The topic ‘Where were you when 9/11 happened?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors