Which Dr. for PCOS?

posted 2 years ago in Wellness
  • poll: Which doctor do you see for PCOS?
    Endocrinologist : (4 votes)
    44 %
    OBGYN : (4 votes)
    44 %
    Primary care : (0 votes)
    Other - will explain in comments : (1 votes)
    11 %
  • Post # 2
    438 posts
    Helper bee

    I saw an OB-gyn and reproductive endo (who I believe was technically a ob-gyn first) for my PCOSm but we were TTC. If the gyno is familar with treating PCOS, I am all for less doctor visits personally!

    Post # 3
    1064 posts
    Bumble bee

    I have PCOS.

    I’m in Canada. Getting treatment for this condition has been an absolute nightmare.

    A GP should order the initial bloodwork plus a pelvic ultrasound or MRI.. You can have PCOS without having elevated testosterone, and you can have PCOS without having ovarian cysts. They can’t check your bloodwork or ultrasound and say “you definitely have PCOS”.

    If PCOS is suspected, you should be referred to both gyno AND endo, because it’s a hormonal disorder that affects your reproductive system. The gyno will discuss treatment of how your reproductive system is being affected, while the endo monitors bloodwork and other issues like weight, testoterone, baldness, hirstuitism, et cet.

    However, sometimes you get stuck in limbo where the gyno won’t see you until you see the endo, and the endo won’t see you until you see the gyno!

    That’s what happened to me. Bounced like a pinball and unable to find a specialist willing to see me for 4 tortorous years. Lack of proper medical care led to a nervous breakdown and hospitalization in the psychiatric ward.


    Post # 4
    769 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: April 2011

    I’m not going to vote because I’m no expert on who you should see.  But I have PCOS and have only been treated by my OBGYN for the past 5 years. Fertility treatments with her, and she delivered the 2 babies she helped me get!  I go twice a year to have my cysts checked at her office when not pregnant. Before her, when I was diagnosed, I was only seeing a different OBGYN who did my surgery to remove a cyst I had.  So you don’t NEED to see an endocronologist but it certainly wouldn’t hurt to have more opinions 

    Post # 6
    4559 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: June 2010

    trishthedish23 :  It isn’t a strange condition at all, it is incredibly common! I was diagnosed at 15 by endo, now am managed by regular GP. 

    Post # 7
    164 posts
    Blushing bee

    I manage it and try new treatment options with my endo because I’m not ttc.

    When I’m ttc I will go with my obgyn.

    Leave a comment

    Find Amazing Vendors