Post # 31
I don’t care for the downstairs in the bigger house. It’s crammed full and yet at the same time there’s almost nothing there. I’d go for the smaller house, better layout. However with that, I like the upstairs on the big house better, basically for the same reason. BTW, if your upstairs washer ever leaks, you’re in for hell.
And with that, I was totally useless! But I pick the smaller house :o)
Post # 32
I would probably choose the 1870 floor plan because it looks like there will be an open loft area upstairs, which will make the space feel larger and more open.
Post # 33
We have upstairs laundry and I absolutely love it, so I like the 1700 for that. However, I like the extra loft space in the 1870….tough choice!!
Post # 34
I voted for #2, but if 3 gives you everything go for that! However I would look at exactly which cosmetic upgrades are cheaper to go with during build rather than later down the road. When my parents built a house they really wanted hardwood floors throughout. At the time it seemed way out of their price range, but over the course of the loan it ended up adding like $30-50 extra. Whereas when they finally got around to getting a quote for carpet removal, labor, materials, etc….it was $15-20k!!
Post # 35
Some homes that are built with upstairs laundry rooms end up with some fairly major structural issues because when they built these assembly line homes, they didn’t take in to account the constant shaking that newer front loading washers create. Also, if you happen to have a problem with your washer and it overflows, you can deal with some pretty major ceiling damage.
Just some things to think about, especially from personal experience.
Post # 36
Just wanted to say that I so very much appreciate all of the input and advice! So many things that I did not even consider… At this point I think we have decided that we are either going to go for the 1700 (this is the one we originally planned on doing and actually already signed a bunch of paperwork for) but if we can change floorplans we are going to go for the 2070. I e-mailed our consultant last night asking if we could switch floorplans at this point in the game (building starts in about a month). I would hope it wouldn’t be an issue but we will see what she says! I would hope they would offer some flexibility even though it might be a pain in the butt paperwork-wise.