(Closed) White gold allergies…question!

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
Member
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

In theory, you should not have an allergic reaction until the rhodium plating begins to wear off. But if you are allergic, you’re better off purchasing something which does not have any nickel in it. Plating wears off at different rates depending on who is wearing it, so it can wear off very quickly (depends on your body chemistry). Nickel allergies tend to get worse over time with exposure, so the constant exposure from a ring can make the allergy much worse very quickly.

Post # 5
Member
4352 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

@Ms_Midori:  Are you allergic to nickel? If you are you should look into palladium or palladium white gold. You should also be able to wear platnium.

Post # 6
Member
1299 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: April 2013

I am allergic to white gold too.  Its the nickel in it.  Personally my allergy progressed very VERY rapidly.  I was wearing my mother’s bridal set, and I did have it rhodium plated which worked once, but the next year I had it re plated and the allergic reaction came back 4 months later.  I had it re dipped and the reaction happened again one month later.  I read that this allergy is becoming more common because we are exposed to nickel more often.  You can wear Palladium or platinum for sure.  Even sterling silver over time can cause the allergic reaction because the nickel somehow leaks out through fine cracks.  I looked this up when i started having the reaction to a sterling silver ring i wore everyday for years and years.  But palladium and platinum are safe.  Palladium is a very nice alternative to platinum, not as heavy and about the same price as white gold.  Hope this helps!

The topic ‘White gold allergies…question!’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors