Post # 1
I have a white gold e-ring, and I am having a crazy allergic (?) reaction to the ring. I have a red ring underneath and my skin is peeling off of my finger around it. I don’t know if it is because it is too tight (I can barely get it on and off) or because I haven’t gotten the soap and water out from under it when I wash, or if I am allergic to white gold. Has anyone else had issues with this? I was thinking of getting a platinum set instead but it will cost an arm and a leg. 🙁
Post # 3
Generally, white gold is hypoallergenic. You may have a Nickle allergy, which is present in all metals.
Have you worn white gold before? Has it done this before? The ring being too tight is definitely an issue as well. I’d take it off and leave it off. If it is indeed a nickle allergy, platinum may trigger it as well, although the percentage of nickle in platinum is significantly lower.
Post # 4
That happens with my ring occasionally and i think it’s from soap being trapped under the ring rather than an allergy… Has this happened since you started wearing it or only recently? If it isn’t all the time I would say it is a soap issue. Try rinsing your ring for a very long time or boiling it with some vinegar diluted in lots of water.
Post # 5
More that likely it is the Nickel in the white gold which you are reacting to. Even if you’ve never reacted before, it is an allergy that can develop (this has happened to me).
Take the ring off and let your skin have a break. Go and see your doctor for some cortisone cream to calm down your skin.
You may have to look into getting Nickel-free metal for your ring. Some Bees apparently paint the inside of their ring with clean nail polish to create a barrier between themselves and the metal. They re-do it every couple of months.
Post # 6
@missbluesky: White gold is made gold by mixing yellow gold with either Palladium or Nickle. Like @Hyperventilate: said you may have an allergy to the Nickle or it might be the Palladium. Check out the inside of your ring and look for the stamp that indicates the metal(s) used to make your ring.
If you want to really fix the problem, you probably have to have your stone reset in a platinum, stainless steel or silver setting (if you want to retain the white color).
Check out this article: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703954904574595943916863808.html
Post # 7
As previous posters have said, it is likely a nickel allergy, which is super common. Platinum rings contain NO nickel – usually 90-95% platinum cut with either iridium or ruthenium.
Post # 8
My sister had a white gold allergy and switched to rose gold
Post # 9
I’ve never worn a white gold ring before.. or really white gold anything. Only yellow gold and silver. It might be that it is just too tight? I made it really tight so it wouldn’t spin, but it didn’t work. I’m wearing an old e-ring that is yellow gold now. It feels better already.
Post # 10
My Fiance is allergic to gold. His band is platinum.
Post # 11
If the yellow gold doesn’t have the same problem, it’s probably a nickle allergy. My best friend has one. I believe it’s possible to get your ring mixed with platinum or palladium instead of nickel if it’s custom made. It might not be cheaper though, since the price of gold is so high…