(Closed) White/Ivory Cowboy Boot Bridesmaids & Plus Sized

posted 7 years ago in Bridesmaids
Post # 4
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

1. Do you realize real cowboy boot will be at least (at the low end) $150 each? and plus size (which a 18/20 really isnt) will be even more- because she will probably be a W?  That being said- the photos you showed had few actually cowboy boots- so if you are simply looking for brown boots- try ROSS if you have one, Payless Shoe Source, and DSW.

2. Indian stores have flowy ivocy dresses and their “free size” would probably work for her. Torrid may have something, Lane Bryant, Macey’s Womens, and oh yea- DEB+ has a lot of interesting stuff, and Dots now carrys larger sizes.

and last but not least maybe telling your sister she wears a “big size” isnt the best way to handle this. 

Post # 5
6019 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: September 2017

@tmsimon: I understand you are stressed out but let me give you just a bit of advice when dealing with shopping for a plus sized girl. The models they put in plus sized ad’s are in my opinion usually not a real accurate way to portray a plus sized lady. Something that looks like it would fit in theory can get on your body and just lay wonky and just not look good at all. Its a very tough thing to shop and be confident about dresses especially for a bigger girl. As her sister I have to say, I feel like you are being really insensitive towards her. Seems to me you are putting finding a good dress to match your decor above making sure your sister feels beautiful and is comfortable in what she is wearing. I understand this is your day and you have a vision of what you want. But this is your sister, do you want h er to look back on your day and have bad memories because of this experience of trying to find a dress that pleases you? just maybe try and be a bit more senstive with your words maybe? I understand your frustration but also try and understand her frustration and fears too.

on the flip side of it I do agree that it was wrong of her to wait so long and avoid dress shopping. I also do not agree that she is not doing the looking herself. it is very hard to shop online for plus size clothing. It usually takes trying something on in person. Furthermore, if you are not plus sized and have never been its going to be even harder for you to do that kind of search on your own. I am a plus sized girl and am a size 1820 as well. I stood up in my friends wedding last year and even though i was not excited about it i went very early on and did some shopping for a dress because i knew that it would take time to find something i was comfortable in that my friend liked too. she should have been more proactive about this. Either way, it is what it is and now you are in this situation. I would try stores like torrid, lane bryant, macy’s, and even some smaller mall type stores might have some options. make a day of it and try and be supportive. Being supportive and offering your assistance will help get to a solution to this quicker than getting angry and frustrated. I do know its hard not to but I think it will go over much better if those feelings are put to the side

Post # 8
1269 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: July 2011

One thing about dressily and milanoo- in my experience they were fast- for offf shore china-4- 8 weeks – which you have. They have lots of colors/shades, and if you give them measurements- they do custom.  For me I gave them my 50-38-45 measuraments and they were almost spot on.  The 50″ bust threw them and they “oversewed” so it cost $60 in alterations for a $120 dress.  Just another thought for your sister.  You can go online shopping together at their websites.

Post # 9
567 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: December 2013

Just a tip from a plus size girl as well…

When buying cowboy boots for your sister, double check with her to see if she has larger calfs. It seems odd, but chances are she does and normal boots don’t fit about the ankle. They sell wide calf boots, so it won’t be a problem and it’s better safe than sorry!

Does any other bee have this problem?

Post # 10
46408 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

Are you familiar with Nataya-They make lovely flowy dresses and they come in plus sizes

http://www.nataya.com for their whole collection

This site carries Nataya dresses  http://www.vintagestyleclothing.com/

Norstroms has some white or floral plus size dresses

Adrianna Papell Trapunto Trim Dress (Plus)Donna Morgan Chiffon Dress (Plus)Donna Morgan Silk Chiffon Strapless Dress (Plus)

these dresses could be shortened easily

JS Boutique Flutter Sleeve Chiffon Gown (Plus)JS Boutique Jersey Grecian Gown (Plus)

Post # 11
51 posts
Worker bee

I am plus size and swear by Torrid or Calvin Klein.  Nordstrom also has a great plus size shop both in the store and online. 

Be careful about the boots.  I can’t wear a lot of them anymore because my calfs are too big.

I have finally gotten over trying on clothes when I am with my size 2, 4 and 6 bff’s.  I would suggest making a day of it and taking her for drinks after, because she will need it. 

When I try on clothes I usualy try to bring SPANKS with me because it can make a huge difference on how things fit. 

Post # 12
271 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/hammered-taffeta-dress-with-corsage/100840133/103

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/jacquard-dot-sundress/100841148/100

http://www.dressbarn.com/detail/sateen-shirtdress-with-belt/100841162/227

I agree – as a plus size girl myslef – boots suck.  It can be challenging to find boots that fit around/over my calf.  My Future Sister-In-Law is also plus sized and just bought Madden Girl Tan cowboy boots – they fit her great and were only $60 at DSW (just this past Saturday)

My maids are wearing Joneswear dresses from JC Penney (sizes 2-4-12 & 16) with these madden boots (which fit over my fat calf beautifully and were only $50 in the steve madden store at Mall of America)  http://www.stevemadden.com/Item.aspx?id=58758&np=127_282  they are available in 3 colors

Post # 14
7311 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

Yeah, a light colored chiffon dress would make me look like a whale. i can kinda see where your siste is coming from, but she should not have waited this long. no matter how painful a dress (or the dress shopping/fitting experience) may be, there is no excuse for stressing out your bride like this. none. That said, you should check out monroeandmain.com and shabbyapple.com. They tend to have plus-size dresses with the vibe you are going for. And n=Nordstroms has a great plus size dress selection.

Post # 15
271 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2011

Nordstrom dress

Post # 16
3148 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: February 2010

boots + fancy dress — that is a look that is very hard to pull off. it is going to bulk up the ankle and stop mid-calf. if the boot is tight around the calf, that is going to be pretty unflattering (it looks terrible on me, and I’m not plus sized). the reason why it looks so cute in that sample photo is because those girls all look like models.

also, brand new cowboy boots look and feel very very stiff. they are going to be pretty uncomfortable. are you ok with the idea that the boots are going to look brand new? note that the boots in the sample photo are well broken in. 

The topic ‘White/Ivory Cowboy Boot Bridesmaids & Plus Sized’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors