(Closed) Who else in NOT having a rustic themed wedding in 2014?

posted 8 years ago in Themes
Post # 62
714 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: February 2014

@skippydarling:  This is so absolutely gorgeous, where is it??

View original reply
@blushpinkbride:  This looks beautiful, I love the fireplace.

View original reply
@peonyinparis:  Taxidermy theme! That would be original!!

I like the idea of doing a bit of an old fashioned thing, but trying not to go overboard with it, just some subtle touches. I know the whole 1920’s theme is huge right now and I’m trying to avoid being too trendy with anything because I want my wedding to be timeless. It can difficult though because some things I like are just trendy right now! Darn.
Anywho, I’m doing mostly a winter theme. Black, white, silver, little bit of gold. Sort of a “fire and ice” thing with bits of fake snow and icy branches, candles and lanterns. It’s an evening wedding and I really want it to be classy and elegant. My venue is an old mansion from the 1800s, so I do like the idea of bringing a little bit of that into the wedding. I actually really love the old fashioned feel of

View original reply
@Duncan: ‘s wedding. Unfortunely my Fiance refuses to wear a top hat. haha
The cocktail hour will be taking place in the front rooms which each have a beautiful fireplace. I’m happy that I can decorate the mantels, which I intend to do with candles and vintage photographs. I can’t wait to post photos after the wedding!

Post # 63
23 posts
Newbee

Me…I’m not sure we’ve actually got a ‘theme’ per se…its being held at a colonial hotel in the middle of the city – but it doesn’t feel urban-ish either as they have these lush gardens (which is where we’ll be having the ceremony)…i think we could call ours ‘Whimsical Elegance’ or something of the sort. The reception is in the hotel ballroom (think chandeliers, gold gilt detailing etc) but we’re adding elements of ourselves and trying to not take the whole thing too seriously. Also I’m usiing pretty rich, bold tones, because pastels and soft colours are just not me.

There was however lace included in the invitations, though nowhere else really…and our table numbers will be old books (because of FI’s profession and my obsession with reading) other than that there will be lots of gold glitter and happy colours. It will just be us πŸ™‚

Post # 64
706 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2014

@peonyinparis:  peacock feathers. think peacock feathers everywhere. in bridesmaids hair, bride’s hair, on the invitation, in the bouquet, on the cake, centerpieces. MY Future Sister-In-Law did it, it is all over pinterest. and i do. not. care. for. it. 

Post # 65
2315 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: May 2014

@cantonbride:  Oh yeah…no. Not into that either. I’m also having a no-feathers rule for my wedding!

When you said peacocks, I thought this kind of thing had taken off (from Rose McGowan’s wedding):

Post # 66
1893 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: October 2014 - UK

@GretaMae316:  “Traditional Literary Autumnal Vintage”

AKA “stuff we like that looks nice”

Post # 67
209 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2016

Glam, my idea of glam πŸ™‚ That’s my theme.

I’ve never considered the rustic theme as it isn’t my taste but I’ve seen some gorgeous rustic weddings, but I’m ready to see something new from brides.

Post # 68
466 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

Aisle Lighting

spooky portraits, silverplate, statues display

Idea for centerpiecesPaint filled bottles with dripping wax looks like gorey blood filled fun to me! Makin this too... <3

gothic make-up 

We are having an Addams Family theme. We want Gothic Glam and Dark Romantic Elegance with out being halloween childish.

Post # 69
1166 posts
Bumble bee

I’d rather attend a wedding that was straight up pinterest than attend a wedding where a bride declared over and over “I’m SO over pinterest”  “I liked burlap before it was a big thing.”  Good for you.  You are truly an original among the sheep.

Honestly – what’s worse?  Being a part of a trend or declaring your hate for a trend as if you’d die if anyone ever thought you weren’t original 100%?

Some of you guys are just being snobby and offensive.

Post # 70
632 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: October 2014

@GretaMae316:  You do know that gatsby/art deco/1920s with pink and gold is the new ‘rustic wedding with lace mason jars and burlap’ right? I’m not saying there’s anything bad about having a popular wedding theme, but if we’re talking about ‘pinterest has already done this’ or at least ‘pinterest is doing this in a big way’ then ‘The Great Gatsby’/1920s definitely deserves a mention. All of the ’20s weddings I’ve seen have been really beautiful, so I’m sure yours will be too :). 

FH and I are a little stuck with our theme. We really wanted a laid back summer wedding but that’s not possible any more so we settled for a modern black, gold and purple wedding in fall. But now because the same problems with FH’s health that stopped us from having a summer wedding have cropped up again, we might have to push the wedding back to winter. Sigh. The only thing I know about my wedding rightt now is that we’ll be getting married at it πŸ™ 

Post # 71
228 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: July 2014

When I started planning my wedding I didnt really have a theme but as I started planning things, my “theme” is bling lol but its subtle. My main colours are silver/bling and all of my flowers are ivory and a very soft pink. My venue ceremony will be held at a Greek Church and the reception will be held at a banquet hall close by. Big room with large chandeliers, and the hall comes with LED uplighting which is a plus! Here are some pics of some of the things that my wedding will have.

This is a sample of what my invites will look like. 

My cake will not have the black ribbon, but instead will be a white fondant sash with a crystal broch in the middle

This is what our backdrop and head table will look like, except the top will seat 10 and the bottom will seat 10 and the table cloths will be white ruffles instead of grey ruffles πŸ™‚

I will have these chargers with the silver napkins because I will be using the halls ivory brocade tablecloths.

The centerpiece will have a white hydrangea and soft pink rose arrangement. The rocks inside the vase will glow πŸ˜€ (thats my fave part lol)

The two white chairs are the bride and groom chairs, and they have little diamon buttons in them. This was my FI’s choosing lol

Post # 72
61 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2014

I LOVE this thread!  I am so sick of rustic weddings, it’s just not my style in general, but I don’t understand why people like ironic cutesy things like mustaches and fedoras for their wedding.  Weddings are not a joke!  It’s a huge commitment! Drink out of a real glass, not a mason jar!  Ugh sorry for the rant.

Our wedding is going to be black tie with fuschia, red and dark purple flowers, gold/amber uplighting, and lots of candles.  I like to think of it as romantic and spicey, haha.

I think this post relates to my biggest pet peeve about the wedding industry these days.  Has anyone else noticed that all the magazines and blogs criticize traditional brides?  They all say something like “20 wedding traditions you should ignore.” I understand tradition isn’t important to everyone, but I think it’s ridiculous that the industry has created this idea that traditional=boring and stale.  When I go to religious weddings I always think the traditional parts are the most moving.  I guess the industry just can’t profit from tradition, so they’re trying to convince us to focus on favors and photobooths.  It makes me feel manipulated and resentful.

Anyway I say kudos to the brides rejecting burlap and choosing elegance.  Congrats to all of you, and may your wedding reflect the serious choice you’ve made, and the happiness you deserve.

Post # 73
228 posts
Helper bee

@turningpersian:  I noticed the same thing! Thats why every “traditional” wedding on Four Weddings always win because of the traditions.. It can be emotional and moving.

Post # 74
1887 posts
Buzzing bee

Our theme is English summer garden because our wedding will be in a garden, in summer, in England. πŸ™‚

Post # 75
615 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

The venue spoke so much for itself that I really did not have a theme.

I kept the wedding colors throughout the day (centerpieces, bouquets, cake, place cards) but I really let the venue speak for itself.

I am not a fan of the whole rustic look and it really would not have meshed well with the decor of my venue…….

Post # 76
71 posts
Worker bee

We (my daughter’s wedding) don’t have a theme.  Our theme is…umm…we’re having a wedding?  They are getting married in a garden ceremony at the inn that my husband and I spent our wedding night in 33 years ago (very sweet) and are having a tented reception for about 200 people at the same inn.

We just want a beautiful, romantic garden feel.  I feel lucky that my daugther is letting me plan the whole thing (I THINK I feel lucky Laughing haha).  I’ve been planning events for about 30 years now.  The colors are pink, charcoal, silver and white, with lots of candles, flowers, uplighting….and bling where ever I can sneak it in.

I do love all the rustic weddings I see on Pinterest.  I love anything beautiful.  I think there’s something for everyone and we need to find beauty in everything instead of making others feel bad by using the terms “I’m over it” or “that’s so tacky and overdone.”  

Just my two cents.  Happy planning all you beautiful brides! Cool

The topic ‘Who else in NOT having a rustic themed wedding in 2014?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors