(Closed) Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 33
5838 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2011

@septcabride:  But the discussion is “omg thats so terrible, heres $10. Hey have you seen the new iPad? Have you bought your hunger games tickets yet?” Its superficial interest and its only knowledge in the sense that people are vaguely more aware that something terrible happened in Africa.

Post # 34
2259 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@KristenGotMarried:  I agree with this. As someone who has been on food stamps before, I realize there is a huge problem with awareness for local charities. Might I even add international adoption or missionary ministries get me going sometimes? Speaking from personal experience with local adoption as well as being on food stamps at one time, there is a big need for money and support locally. Adoption is good, awareness that other nations may need our help is good…. but honestly a lot more good can be done locally as well. I know for a fact that there are millions of children who are hungry in the US as well as children who are labelled ‘special needs’ adoption because of their skin color. Seriously. My younger siblings are from the same city I am but because they are african american their chances of being adopted are much less than an international adopted child from Europe or Asia. Just saying. 

I think raising awareness is a great thing but far too many churches and positive organizations seem to forget the issues at home. 

Post # 35
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@SimplyChic11:  also being overlooked is that fact that there IS a child sex slave trade in the United States. Yeah, not cool.

What irks me the most is this Invisible Children group is pushing for support for the Ugandan military forces (nevermind the fact that Kony isn’t in Uganda) and this military USES CHILD SOLDIERS. How is that even ok? Why are we campaigning for donations and support of a group doing exactly what they say they are trying to stop?

Post # 35
1089 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2013

K my 2 cents…. Buy Canadian Diamonds! lol

Post # 36
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@mandypop:  “I’m cautious of any person who is NOT an African native trying to drum up support for a cause that is deeply and inherently African.”

Why? Only Africans can be worried about other Africans?

Post # 37
2583 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@hisgoosiegirl:  Indeed.

Here is a great article my Congolese friend sent me this morning.  Its people who are ACTUALLY Ugandan explaining why they don’t support this campaign:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/world_now/2012/03/uganda-kony-2012-reaction.html

Those are the people we should be listening to.

One of them mentions nodding sickness. That brings up a really good point.  If you are interested in spending money on a cause that will improve quality of life in Africa, look up “neglected tropical diseases”.  Improving quality of life is the first step in changing the course of civil unrest.

Post # 39
2583 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@DeadlyNightshade:  

No, because most people who did not grow up there don’t understand the complexities of the unrest (and this campaign is a perfect example).  When people get involved in things they don’t fully understand, they make messes. ESPECIALLY when they get involved with foreign governments.

Colonialism is also a really REALLY sensitive issue. If there is a need in a country, I want to hear about it from someone who is from there. Not someone who went down there for a few months with a video camera and posed for pictures with machine guns.

Imagine if some French dude released a video explaining in toddler terms – glossing over massive complexities and details –  why we need to overthrow our healthcare system and how exactly we should do it, by donating money to a French organization.  Probably wouldn’t go over too well here, to say the least!

Post # 40
5219 posts
Bee Keeper

@KristenGotMarried:  very much agree with this.

Whether you’re pro or against Kony 2012, I think we can all see that each country has it’s own problems to deal with right at our doorstep. My Fiance and I always give and support the Wounded Warriors program. To each their own, I guess… but I am almost always more apt to give to something local, but that’s just me! It doesn’t mean I don’t care about other people’s issues.

I would really hope that we can learn to pick our battles before jumping in head first on this one, and not let the media wave take over. Exposure is a good thing, but it also leads the way for a lot of misinformation.

Post # 42
5373 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2014

@KristenGotMarried:  I very much agree.

@PennyLainne:  Canadian diamonds are not conflict free, they just contribute to conflict in a different way than the diamonds from Africa (ex: Indigenous exploitation/colonization). Plus Canadian diamonds still support DeBeers. It’s good to buy into ‘non-conflict’ diamonds, but it’s also important to be aware of their less visibile problems. Just because something is from North America doesn’t mean it’s more ethical (:

Post # 43
1012 posts
Bumble bee

Do you’re research.  That is all i have to say. 

Kony currently probably has only a few hundred soldiers, Uganda is trying to recouperate from this, and Kony isnt in Uganda anyway. 

Its more important to help the children in ANY warn torn country.  We made Osama famous…still took a long time to find him. 

Post # 44
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@mandypop:  No African is going to tell you about anything their country needs because in their minds the only thing that they NEED is to not encourage Americans to find another way to rob them of their natural resources. 

Just to make it clear, I’m not supporting IC, but I am supporting the exposure. 

Post # 45
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@DeadlyNightshade:  but what about the fact that multiple Ugandans (in the earlier linked articles) have stated this is NOT good for the region, that Kony has NOT been there in years, Uganda is relatively peaceful now and they are now worried about potential backlash from him or others because of this publicity?

That doesn’t sound like just not wanting us to get involved, that sounds like they know what potential consequences there are from this.

The topic ‘Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors