(Closed) Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 46
5219 posts
Bee Keeper

@DeadlyNightshade:  

only thing that they NEED is to not encourage Americans to find another way to rob them of their natural resources. 

I don’t think American’s specifically are the only ones out there”robbing” people of their resources… I think a lot more plays into Africa’s problems than Americans.

Post # 47
2583 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@DeadlyNightshade:   There are a few things African people have consistently asked for international support with…

– medical supplies and training (ie not sending doctors down there to play hero for 6 months and leaving, but actually training African medical professionals)

-educational supplies and training (again, setting up school infrastructure and training teachers as opposed to going down there to teach and then leaving).

I volunteer for a medical organization that was started and is run and managed by a Congolese native who spends half the year there, and half the year here getting supplies. He only pays Congolese people, and the whole idea is to create a self-sustaining program that will eventually have no foreign involvement.  That kind of thing just sits better with me, from the perspective of avoiding colonialism.

As far as the awareness goes – what are your thoughts on the fact that many Ugandans have been outspoken that they do not want this awareness, and that they fear it may actually make things WORSE for them? 

Post # 48
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@hisgoosiegirl:  Yeah, the consequence is that he might come home. Kony is in the DRC. This is where I definitely agree with mandypop as far as things being complicated. In Ugandas mind, he’s gone so who the fuck cares. But he’s not. He just moved into another country. Its a prime example of Africans and the different tribes not caring about each other, as long as their ok. Ugandans and Zaireans have had these issues for a while.

Post # 49
4886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Somehwat related:  Tom’s donating one pair for every pair we buy.  

http://goodintents.org/in-kind-donations/toms-shoes

YAY I LOVE TO HELP!!! 

….

Not to say that this isn’t an issue, and I’m glad people are getting passionate and concerned with the well being of others, I just think we need to be better at researching our causes, that’s all.

Post # 50
9481 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

@KristenGotMarried:  YEP!  =) I bought mine and got a flag, sticker, and a letter stating that a pair of shoes would be donated because I bought a pair.  They do glasses as well.

Post # 53
4886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@Rouquine:  I love you to death but I think you’re missing my point a little.  Tom’s shoes, while doing mostly good things, can also really hurt villages.  That being said, I love the glasses and think that’s great.

Post # 54
5219 posts
Bee Keeper

@DeadlyNightshade:  just making sure 🙂

I know America has a tendency to get involved sometimes where not wanted, but I don’t think we are the ultimate bad guy in every situation

Post # 55
9481 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

@KristenGotMarried:  Gotcha!  I re-read your post and now understand.  I skimmed through it quickly.  =) I think it’s a great idea, but I see your side.  This, however, is just .. ridiculous. I’m all for supporting children, doing what’s best for them, etc – but it’s almost hopeless.

ETA: I really do wish we’d worry about our country and the people in it for once.

Post # 56
2583 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@DeadlyNightshade:  I agree completley. I think thats a humanity thing though – not just an Africa thing.  We all worry more about things when they’re in our backyard. But is also all the more reason its too messy for us to put on our Captain America pants and Superman capes and go parading in there like there’s a strongarming/military solution for this (and that is what IC is demanding).

Post # 57
5543 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

I will still stand by, trying and not doing it perfectly is infinatly better than doing nothing. 

Post # 58
542 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

Sent from my Android

Post # 59
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@chasesgirl:  but what about when those affected don’t want and are fearful of the consequences of the help? Or the fact that the military group that IC wants the US to support is using child soldiers? That’s definitely not doing it perfectly.

And I still don’t get what the hell people think they are ‘helping’. The U.S. is already involved.

The topic ‘Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors