(Closed) Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 60
542 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2013

All: PLEASE read articles from sources like Foreign Affairs on this trend. The IC video is misleading… Also, the 30K figure refers to the number of children over 30 years, not this year. Where have you all been? In fact, this is less of an issue now than nodding disease and AIDS, for instance.

Also, who here uses Apple products? Has a diamond? Wears most major brands? Human rights violations and child labor is a huge issue in the world…. perhaps use this as an opprtunity to gain a broad education on the issues of the world and the solutions. The IC solution would make things worse. Educate yourselves on responsible companies at home and that will make a bigger difference than giving money to IC. Use that money instead to buy from brands that support good labor practices and human rights around the world.

If I make a video about Apple products, will everyone care about those abuses, too?

ETA: http://www.foreignaffairs.com/articles/136673/mareike-schomerus-tim-allen-and-koen-vlassenroot/obama-takes-on-the-lra

Post # 61
5543 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: December 2011

@hisgoosiegirl:  Well, it seems to depend on who you ask if they want the help or not. I have several friends who have spent their life in Uganda and the Congo, and believe me when I say they (and all the native Ugandians they have been working/living with for years) are fully in support of the rest of the world getting involved to get this man and his whole organization out of Africa and brought to justice. And the other issue is this horrible catch 22, people don’t want to send American (or any other countries) military to help with the issue, but they don’t want to support the local countries goverment either? What do you do? And when we can send over 100,000 soilders to the middle east, one can hardly call 25 special force troops and 75 support personal helping.

Post # 62
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@chasesgirl:  How many troops do you propose they send? What exactly would you like them to do? This guy may already be dead, and his ‘army’ of about 1000 is a bunch of kids. How many soldiers do we need to go in guns blazing after kids?  Our soldiers aren’t there to do the direct fighting, they are there to help the local government handle it on their own. Which I firmly believe is the correct course of action. 

Post # 63
542 posts
Busy bee

Also, note, that the Ugandan government is evil and non-democratic. AND, what do you all propose is done with the children who have been brainwashed to kill? Lots of talk without any solutions…

Post # 64
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@mandypop:  Once again, I’m not supporting IC, only the exposure. 

And I hate the argument of “well everybody does it.” That doesn’t make it right. 

Also, the US chases its war criminals around the world. It doesn’t push them into a neighboring country and go, “Well that’s that!”

Post # 65
5543 posts
Bee Keeper

@hisgoosiegirl:  I would propose miltary support to finding this man and arresting him and his lackys to be brought to trial in the ICC. And then instead of spending billions on a war over oil, sending aid to help in the rehabilition of the child soilders. They are a mess, the perversion of their minds is so utterly dehabilitating, it will be a long road, but one that I believe deserved attempting. I would never suggest sending troops “guns blazing” to a bunch of children. But the tragic truth is, most of them aren’t children anymore, they may be biologically, by psychologically, they are killing machines, doped up, beat up, and twisted beyond recognition. You say you think American troops being there to support the local goverment is what they need to do, but the local goverment is using less than ethical tactics too, so what do we do? Support the corrupt goverment? Support the corrupt rebels? Like I said, it is a horrible catch 22, but I still refuse to believe doing NOTHING is the rigth answer. The world can’t claim ignorance anymore, not that ignorance is ever a legitiment excuse anyway. 

Post # 66
542 posts
Busy bee

All this discussion proves is that people resist real information at all costs. PLEASE before you form opinions learn about AFRICA! It takes WAY more than a 30 minute video to understand even a little of what is happening over there, everyday, to the entire continent. Our morally superior colonialist attitudes have really made things worse there, so I hope this doesn’t add to that.

In life, I’ve learned you cannot argue against misinformation with facts about an incredibly complex, nuanced problem. This whole Kony2012 bs has reinforced this….

Post # 67
5295 posts
Bee Keeper

and then what do we do when the next person steps up to take over Kony’s actions? We can’t just sit over there indefinitely playing whack-a-mole each time a new guy takes over.

And quite simply, if it were that easy to find and kill him, he’d be dead.

The problem does not begin and end with that one man. A complete overhaul needs to happen in that area politically, and frankly, I don’t think that’s the U.S.’s job. I think we are better off supporting international groups like UNICEF in working to help them overcome disease, famine, and displacement.

Post # 68
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@RnbwznPuppies:  I don’t see anyone resisting real information. I see people disagreeing about what to do or if it’s even worth bringing up. 

Post # 69
125 posts
Blushing bee

Don’t support Invisible Children! I’m not saying don’t support anti-Kony orginizations at all, just put your money towards one that has lower administrative costs. IC has been extremely shady with profits.

Post # 70
5543 posts
Bee Keeper

@hisgoosiegirl:  Aww… but “Whack-a-Mole: Evil War Lord Edition” has such marketing potential! Kidding aside, I have never said it was only the US’ job, I am saying that as members of the global community, countries with the means to help, should be. The US, Canada, the EU, Austrila, the UK, Russia, China (though they have plenty of their own human rights violations to deal with), Japan, other industrial powers, need to do something about evil happening in the world. Isolationism is what allowed the Holocaust go uncheck and let 10 million people be slaughtered. 

Post # 71
542 posts
Busy bee

@DeadlyNightshade:  When I disagree on FB, twitter, etc., about the Kony2012 video, I get yelled at and am told to watch the video/read IC’s website and explanation. When I respond with articles that further explain the entire situation and some of its complexities, I am again told to read what IC says about the situation, from people who had no idea where Uganda was yesterday. To me, this is resisting real information. A 30 minute video is not enough to educate people on Uganda. That is what I am saying, and yes, I see people resisting real information. An opinion formed based on the video, is not based on real information.

It’s great that people are aware of Uganda right now. I worry that, because people are forming opinions based on misinformation, the responses will make the situation worse. I wish people would take this as an opportunity to educate themselves on these issues. Even more, I wish it would lead those with the resources to do so to educate themselves about the brands we support in our daily lives, which could help foster responsible branding and bolster human rights around the world. This is the teeniest little piece of so many devasting human rights violations even in America….

Post # 72
5295 posts
Bee Keeper

@chasesgirl:  ah, but that is the purpose of the UN, is it not? And from the little bit of reading I did, they are aware of it and trying to help. There is an article out this week about the efforts the UN is making to help the victims of the LRA in the DRC.

http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=41466&Cr=Democratic&Cr1=Congo

It is not being ignored like the Holocaust. I think there are a lot of efforts being made to help stabilize the region (look at Uganda, they are now peaceful after being completely war-torn 10-ish years ago), but unfortunately, this is NOT something that will be fixed overnight.

I would buy tickets to that whack-a-mole show!

Post # 73
1443 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: May 2011

I understand the initial sentement behind the video, but it still irritates me.  It makes a cause a “fad”…the cool thing to do.  Send money to support snagging this guy…by sending over our troops?  I’m betting that a lot of those “doing their part” by buying bracelets or whatever have never actually thought of signing up for the military themselves.  They’re thinking about texting their friends this link or how great of a person they will look like when they repost the link on their Facebook page.  “Look at me!  I care!”  It takes a lot more than that to care.  I know I sound like a Negative Nancy, and I’m sorry.  But when you have a close family member (or in my case, husband) who happens to be the one you’re rooting to send over to combat this guy…this mess of a situation (that people aren’t even taking time to research before screaming “I volunteer OUR guys and girls to go get this dude!”) seems a little less viral and fun and a lot more frightening.

Our military is taking budget cuts left and right.  Men and women who were promised retirement when they signed up are now in limbo as to whether or not that will happen.  People are getting kicked out of my husband’s command for the smallest things…all because the military doesn’t have the budget to keep them.  Recruiting efforts are down.  The recession hasn’t just affected civilians.  We can barely afford the messes we’ve gotten ourselves into at this point, and adding another one to the list of “great and noble things to do” sounds wonderful…but probably isn’t the most realistic use of our limited resources.

No, I’m not saying that you should only take care of people who live around you…that where you live dictates IF you live.  I’m saying that we should please take a moment to research what we are proposing to do, and to realize that the men and women you are volunteering up as human sacrifices to hunt this guy down also have moms, dads, brothers, sisters…  Volunteer your time to go to a foreign country and help educate children.  Give people the power to help themselves.  Don’t treat our military men and women like mindless fodder you can use to appease your need to feel “socially just and wholeheartedly good.”  They aren’t super heros or Marvel Comics characters.  They are people who volunteered to protect you.

Sorry for the rant…for some reason this just gets under my skin…

Post # 74
5219 posts
Bee Keeper

@mrs_pugetsound:  I feel your point. My Fiance served in the military and was in Iraq during the worst of it… I am VERY cautious before just offering military support. Just because our military CAN doesn’t mean they should.

The topic ‘Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors