(Closed) Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 91
4886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@mandypop:  PREACH!!!!!!!!!!!

I think you should send that exact post to your wall and start a Facebook movement.

No seriously. 

Post # 92
1115 posts
Bumble bee

I see a lot of what NOT to do on this thread. 

I would love to hear what some more of you ARE doing to help. I think that would also be positive. 

If you’re going to start a movement to make people stop doing something, it would be great to set an example of what else they can do. 

Post # 93
2259 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

Has anyone heard of YWAM? 

http://www.ywam.org/

sort of along the same topic, I have also grown up in Christian circles and know friends who have chosen to do this for ‘college’ instead of get an actual degree…. I don’t know much about it but I was wondering if anyone here did. It seems this is a kind of program that trains students (mostly) for a month or two and then sends them abroad. 

On the upside… what ARE reliable sources I could refer people to who actually wanted to help? I think if I bring up anything against KONY I should have something to refer people to that can actually help. 

just wondering! 

Post # 94
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@DeadlyNightshade:  I think many of the posters against this video (myself included) have offered multiple alternatives – including donating to UNICEF, Amnesty International, UN-sponsored groups, and Doctors Without Borders.

But for me personally? I’m a ‘fix your own problems first’ kind of person. So I’ve donated to local charities, volunteered in a soup kitchen, donated items to Goodwill – I do what I can locally because that’s where I feel I can have the most positive impact. 

Post # 95
4886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

@DeadlyNightshade:  This is only slightly related, but a while back people on FB were switching their pictures to their favorite 80s cartoon character to bring awareness to… child abuse.  Yeah, that’s right.  Apparently making your picture a GI Joe would help the issue.  I got so fed up with it that I wrote a check to a children’s support organization here in Columbus, and have done so several times since.  And hell yes, I posted about doing it and why I made the choice on Facebook.  

This is similar.  So everyone’s going batshit crazy over Kony2012, which is really awesome considering it can get people aware and passionate about SOMETHING, even if its not Kony2012 itself.  There’s a zillion ways to help a zillion causes, and for those who want to support Kony, go on with your bad selves!  For those who choose to support something else, anything else, go on with your bad selves!  But do it LOUD, and do it PROUD.  People are easily inspired to do good things.  

Obviously Facebook is a HUGE network and its very easy to spread the word.  So I encourage each and every one of us to post something today that can help the community you’re in, whether it be a link with info on donating to food banks, or animal shelters, or anything else.

Post # 96
2232 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@DeadlyNightshade:  Not doing something is BETTER than doing something that is harmful. There have been suggestions as to what people should do, like the last paragraph in mandypop‘s comment. Perhaps it’s not the answer that you want to hear because it leaves most people out of the equation, but that is development, no one would attempt surgery without knowing what they’re doing but plenty of people start up their own NGOs without ever setting foot in the country they’re attempting to help. 

I grew up in a place destroyed by war and now overrun by NGOs looking to repair the situation. Guess what? It doesn’t work, and it won’t work. They are introducing Western ideas to a group of people who will absolutely resist it because they have no input. The NGOs that have good results are the ones run by locals. This isn’t just about doing something, it’s about achieving results that are beneficial, otherwise what’s the point?

Charity makes us feel good so we do it without thinking about the consequences. Charity for most people (and especially those volunteers/poverty tourists) is all about them and not at all about the community. Most volunteers are a burden on the organization and the community. 

Post # 97
1115 posts
Bumble bee

I’m all for local help but I was looking more for an alternative for this issue since I believe people can do both. Basically, an answer to @MisssPumpkinBarry’s question.

Post # 100
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@Ms. Martian:  I’m central African. Please don’t lecture me. You missed the point of my question.

Post # 102
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@Ms. Martian:  THIS is a good answer.  I’m just looking for positives because I know people want to help.

Post # 103
2232 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@DeadlyNightshade:  I’m not lecturing you, I’m giving you my point of view as someone who has worked in this field and who has been the recipient of aid. 

Post # 104
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@DeadlyNightshade:  I’m all for local help but I was looking more for an alternative for this issue since I believe people can do both. Basically, an answer to @MisssPumpkinBarry’s question.

That response came across to me that you didn’t read it.

The topic ‘Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors