(Closed) Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com

posted 8 years ago in The Lounge
Post # 105
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@hisgoosiegirl:  How so? Once again, I can’t ask for anyone else’s input? I also didn’t respond to you. Thats a lot of assuming.

I was trying to swing the conversation in a positive way and now I just see unnecessary back and forth. Your answer is a good one, now I’m looking for even more.

Post # 107
5295 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: January 1993

@DeadlyNightshade:  of course you can ask for other’s input! But I think others would agree that response sounded like you either didn’t like the charities I listed or ignored them. That’s all I’m saying. 

@Ms. Martian:  what is your opinion on Heifer International? I had taken a food issues/ethics course in college and among the interesting things discussed where how the Green Revolution has been hugely detrimental to India’s agriculture industry, and that some groups similar to Hfr. International that donate food actually hurt the local economy because they are usually bringing food from the US or other donor countries, and not purchasing from local producers. Obviously some places are not able to produce adequate food – but in others, where it’s not availibility but just that the people are too poor to purchase it, the idea was brought up that instead of bringing food from the US or whereever, they should purchase it from the local farmers and then turn around and donate it. 

Post # 109
5295 posts
Bee Keeper

@KristenGotMarried:  wow, that last link is really useful! The best charities are usually giving  75% of their revenue directly to the cause. 

Post # 110
4886 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

Ah, the power of the Google Machine.    🙂  All the info you could want is out there, you just have to know how to ask for it.  

Post # 111
1115 posts
Bumble bee

@hisgoosiegirl:  I saw you list international charities so I don’t see how my response about local work made it seem like I ignored you. But to each their own. Now I’m taking care to respond to everyone.

My country has been destroyed, millions of people are dead and I’m just looking for some way to encourage people to help others that are in 3rd World countries positively. This shouldn’t be about me and you and whether or not I individually acknowledge you!

Post # 112
2232 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

@hisgoosiegirl:  I haven’t done much research on them or know enough to comment on them directly but in general food donations ARE detrimental. Bringing in food donations floods the local market and drives prices down even further so those farmers who do have produce to sell are then being destroyed. The same goes for all donations that are available locally (shoes, t-shirts, bikes etc.).

There is some literature out there that talks about a connection between the USA’s over production of certain produce (corn) and the food aid contracts paid for by organizations like WHO. I’m not a food & nutrition expert but I think there is some validity to those points.

Post # 114
5295 posts
Bee Keeper

@Ms. Martian:  I’m in ag…….and boy do our producers like to talk about ‘feeding the world’. We definitely overproduce corn and I know grain was one of the items discussed. It’s better for us to help them technology-wise to be able to become self-sustaining rather than become reliant on US donations. 

Post # 115
5295 posts
Bee Keeper

@BoiledPNut:  It’s amazing how much you can learn in 10 minutes of googling! I’ll definitely use that CharityWatch site in the future. I just wish all the people on my fb passing that video around would take the time to do the same. They’d quickly learn that if they really want to help, there are better options available. Although I guess the video DID make me more aware….I learned more about Uganda and central African politics in the last day than the previous 15 years!

Post # 116
2232 posts
Buzzing bee

@hisgoosiegirl: Low overhead actually tells us nothing. Saundra from Good Intentions has written a book about how organizations choose to report their spending to come out on top in terms of low overhead costs.

http://goodintents.org/lies-white-lies-and-accounting-practices

If you click on the link for the review on that page is also gives a bit more information on what’s discussed in the book.

Post # 117
2583 posts
Sugar bee

@DeadlyNightshade:  

I would suggest finding small, focused NGO’s that have been started by people native to the country they are working in/for.  They should have attainable/measurable goals, and should be focused on sustainability rather than glamour and facebook popularity.  Neglected tropical diseases are a major issue (in fact, both of the articles I read from Ugandans mentioned that nodding sickness is a bigger concern for them right now). 

The organization I have been involved with since 2005 is run by a biologist/physician who grew up in what is now DRC, came to the US for college – ended up staying here, but once he retired, decided he wanted to do something for his home country. So he moved back there -for a year, traveled, talked to people, did a lot of research to find out what they needed most and what he could provide – that ended up being a anti-parasitic distribution for an endemic tropical disease. He runs the office himself in Kinshasa and employs ONLY Congolese. I volunteer here for him with some fundraising, bookkeeping, etc – and when I go down to visit, it will be only as an observer, not as a do-gooder.  I also used photography from my last trip to raise money for him and plan to do that again.   There are a lot of people out there like the doctor I work with – but because they dont pump so much money in to advertising, and they have small, focused goals – it is not as sexy or noble-sounding, so it gets less attention.

I would suggest for people who want to truly help, thinking of a specific cause that is important – nutrition, education, health – and doing a lot of research in to particular organizations before sending your hard earned money to them.

Post # 118
2725 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I am for helping people whether it be domestically or abroad. I am also for accountable charities and programs. 

In 2009, I participated in Invisible Chldren’s The Rescue which was an awareness campaign with hopes of arresting Kony. That was 3 years ago so this is not anything new. I am pretty sure they have been putting out videos since 2005. The newest video is very similar to their previous ones. It appears they have improved their marketing strategies in the past 7 years. 

Also this struggle has been going on for years. The issues in Africa are quite deep and have developed over years and years. There isn’t one solution. 

I do not think Invisible Children is the answer or the solution. At this point, I am not for or against Invisible Children but I will say I will not be donating my time or money to them during this campaign. 

Here are the ratings for Invisible Children through Charity Navigator.

The topic ‘Who is Joseph Kony? www.KONY2012.com’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors