(Closed) Who Pays for Bridesmaids Dresses & Shoes

posted 8 years ago in Etiquette
Post # 3
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

Normally the bridesmaids pay for their dresses, shoes, etc. Your bridesmaids would help pay for your shower and bachlorette party as well. Normally the bride gets the bridesmaids a present as a thank you for being in the wedding. As a present for my girls, since I don’t want to get them something they will never use, I am going to help pay for their hair and bought them both their jewelry to wear. You can really do whatever is in your budget to do to help them out. I would suggest having them be responsible for their attire, but maybe as a gift get their jewelry or shoes or hair/makeup. That way you are doing something practical for them and you feel like you are helping a little bit.

Post # 4
1403 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

Usually the Bridesmaid or Best Man pays for her own dress and shoes.  In my experience, $250-300 is pretty steep for a Bridesmaid or Best Man dress.  I’ve bought and worn Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses that I didn’t like before, and sense their price was around $100 I didn’t complain.

Post # 5
345 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2010

Eh, well my BMs are paying for their stuff, my the dress i picked it totally wearable again…i’m sure every bride thinks that, tho

i think if your budget is tight, thats one thing you can have them pay for on their own, and would help you not stress too much ab the budget. but if you have them pay for it, you may want to consider letting them pick their own dress – maybe picking a color and letting them pick a style?

Post # 6
141 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: August 2010

I have 5 BM’s and there’s no way I could afford to buy their dress, shoes, etc. They offered to pay for everything because they know how difficult it would be on me and the Fiance. The parents’ of the flower girls and ring bearer are also buying their attire as well. I think its totally up to you, if you can afford it, go for it…

Post # 7
546 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I would agree that the bridesmaids generally pay for their own.  I think it’s nice if the bride can help, but in most cases not expected.  However, I would feel like 250 is a lot to pay for a bridesmaid dress.  Especially if you guys are working with a pretty tight budget.  If I had to pay that much for a dress, then I definitely would want to be able to wear it again and really love it.  

Also, I am not having flower girls so I don’t know much about the prices of those dresses but that seems like a crazy amount to pay for a childs dress.

Post # 9
5263 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: June 2012

Generally the bridesmaids pay for their own dresses, but the bride chooses dresses that are a bit more affordable. If she wants something that is out of the realm of comfortable pricing (for my girls, that’d be anything over $150) she generally should pay for at least part of each girl’s dress. You’ll get a lot of different opinions on this, but just remember that there are many, many options out there, and more and more Bridesmaid or Best Man dresses are coming from non-wedding related stores. 

As for the MOB/MOG, I’ve never heard of the bride assigning them dresses, and I’ve never heard of the bride paying for their dresses. 

Post # 10
368 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2010

I second lilyfaith in that MOB/MOG dresses not really have to be picked by the bride. They should probably just compliment the wedding colors but you don’t want to be too matchy and then they might look almost like a bridesmaid. Since they can really pick whatever dress they want I would think MOB/MOG pay their own.

Post # 11
239 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

As far as I’ve understood, bridesmaids pay for their own attire. I am expected to buy mine in the weddings I’ll be in soon. It would be nice to take into account what the bridesmaids can actually afford to buy and/or give them enough notice to save up.

Post # 14
2186 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: September 2010

for me, i pay for the dresses when i am a Bridesmaid or Best Man – its part of accepting the job, but anything over $150 for something someone is making me pay is kinda steep. Jsually unless the bride is paying for the dress she asks what we would like and asks for imput and price ranges we can afford before picking the gowns. I would suggest putting some $$ towards the dresses to subsidize as their gift. i know if i was a bm and had to buy a 200-250 dress i would love some $$ to help out with it.

also know that if you are gonna have the girls pay that much for the dress, know that they might not spend as much on other things like bachelorettes, shower gifts or things of that nature (most of my friends budget to be IN weddings too – fyi i have $1000 to spend on my friends out of town wedding…)

caveat to say if you have friends that are more established, older, well-to-do, etc – then i wouldnt be as put out with buying a more expensive dress.

Post # 15
191 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: July 2012

I would expect to pay for my own dress as a bridesmaid, but that said, I would also expect that the bride would try to keep costs down for the bridesmaids by finding options that don’t cost a fortune. I’m in a wedding and our dresses are costing us each $250 plus we have to pay for our own hair and shoes and I’m pretty frustrated that I have to pay a few hundred dollars for something I will never ever wear again. (Huge poofy floor length wedding gown styled bridesmaid dress) oh and also try to consider costs of alterations too, because for us we will all have to get the dress shortened because it’s such a long gown and because there are so many layers in the bottom of the dress I’m not looking forward to getting the bill for that either.

But as long as you can keep costs down then the bridesmaids should have no problem with paying for their own dresses:)

Post # 16
169 posts
Blushing bee

If it is in your budget you can, as their gift, if not traditionally they do… just be sensitive to their financial states when picking a dress, they can be from forever 21 for like less than $39 or from Vera Wang for up to $600 

The topic ‘Who Pays for Bridesmaids Dresses & Shoes’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors