(Closed) Who used their bumper? Who didn’t?

posted 9 years ago in Babies
  • poll: Did you use a bumper for your little one?
    Yes, we used the bumper. : (12 votes)
    32 %
    No, we decided not to use it for safety reasons. : (22 votes)
    59 %
    Yes, we used it, but not until our baby was older. (explain) : (3 votes)
    8 %
  • Post # 17
    5147 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: June 2011

I voted “no for safety reasons”.

However, I am going to use one of those mesh breathable bumpers. The crib I will be using is the one my dad built when I was a baby. It’s proably not up to the currently safety requirements in regards to how far apart the slats are, so that’s why I’ll use a mesh bumper.

Post # 18
    801 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: August 2008

We initially had the bumper in the crib but my son was calmer if when he woke he could see us coming to him instead of a head just magically appearing above him so we took it out pretty quickly.  Also, he got better air circulation in his crib without it since there was not barrier.

Post # 19
    9815 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper

I never used one. Literally the only thing in her crib was a fitted sheet.

Post # 20
    948 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2010

We are using one of the breathable/mesh bumpers.  I really don’t have much use for any of the fancy bedding, we bought fitted crib sheets for $2 on sale at Target.

Post # 21
    940 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: March 2010

We didn’t use the bumper for safety reasons.  I made a very simple crib skirt and focused decorations on the rest of her room.

Post # 22
    6009 posts
    Bee Keeper
    • Wedding: May 2009

View original reply
    @KatyElle:  Ditto.

I found that bumpers can really only be used safely for a short amount of time; it seemed unecessary to me.  Besides not being able to use the bumper until the baby is big/strong enough to roll away from it, you are also supposed to take it out when the baby is able to pull him/herself up to a standing position as bhe/she can use it to try and climb out of the crib.  I figured we might use a mesh one later on, but ended up not even buying that, since we would’ve had to get rid of it at like 7 months, anyway.

The topic ‘Who used their bumper? Who didn’t?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors