(Closed) Who’s Deciding Your Bridesmaids’ Beauty Look?

posted 9 years ago in Bridesmaids
  • poll: Who's Deciding Your Bridesmaids' Beauty Look?
    I choose, bridesmaids pay : (4 votes)
    4 %
    I choose, I pay : (13 votes)
    13 %
    Bridesmaids choose, bridesmaids pay : (46 votes)
    45 %
    Bridesmaids choose, I pay : (17 votes)
    17 %
    They are wearing the makeup they normally wear. : (15 votes)
    15 %
    I don't think anyone but me needs hair and makeup done. : (8 votes)
    8 %
  • Post # 17
    3617 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: November 2011

View original reply
    @Dandelion D:  agreed!

That was my rule of thumb: if I was requiring it, I was paying for it.

Post # 18
    1767 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: December 2011

I didn’t make them get professional hair/makeup. Hell, I didn’t even get professional hair/makeup! All of my girls got together before the wedding and we got ready/did hair and makeup all together so they could see what everyone else was doing. I don’t really have a closeup of our faces, but everyone looked fairly natural (okay, one girl wore dark eyeshadow but she ALWAYS does; it would have been really weird if she hadn’t lol).

Post # 19
    8734 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: September 2011

I paid for everyone to get their hair and makeup done on the wedding day.

As for hair I just gave the guideline that I’d like it half up and they each worked with the hairstylist to arrive on a style they liked.

Here we all are together (it’s a silly picture, but you can see everyone’s hair):

I agree that if you are asking them to get their hair and/or makeup done then you should pay for it. If you are offering it as an option (but not requiring it) then it’s ok for them to pay. 

Post # 20
    550 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I am having a small wedding so I only have my sister standing for me. She is able to pick whatever she wants for hair and makeup and I plan on paying for it as part of her gift. (I payed for her dress as well)

Considering you want a certain style I think you should offer to pay. 

Post # 21
    1375 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: September 2012

I am trusting that if my bridesmaids decide not to get their hair and makeup done, they will still look wonderful – because they will.  They’re beautiful enough on their own!

Post # 22
    2965 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: April 2013

View original reply
    @DeathByDesign:  Im doing this as well. I feel like if you are making them wear a certain type of hairstyle or makeup and wanting them to get it professionally done as well you need to pay for it. 

Post # 23
    362 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: August 2014

If you want them all to have the same look, you need to pay for it. 

Post # 24
    1621 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: July 2012

After I decide on my makeup artist and hair person, I’ll let the girls know what the prices are and ask if they want to get in on it. No one is required or expected (I’d assume most would say no, since I actually plan to go with a more errr pricey option for myself lol), but if they so choose to use the professional then they pay for it and get to choose how they look. I think if you want the girls to do their hair or makeup in a certain way, you have to finance it. Now, if you’re just saying “do what you normally do but if you’re using eye shadows pick neutrals” I think you’re fine and don’t need to buy them products, but if you’re asking them to wear specific shades of colors they don’t own, you should probably purchase the colors. If you require them to use the professional, you pay.

Post # 25
    1570 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: October 2009

they know what looks good on them, their decision. I will help pay.

Post # 26
    4753 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

Within REASON, they got to choose. They only asked if I had any requests- my request is hair up (don’t care how) and pretty makeup that’s relatively normal nothing too “out there” which isn’t really their style anyhow.

Post # 27
    2334 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

I’m paying but my Maid/Matron of Honor can decide on her own, I trust her judgement for her own hair and body.  Its not like she’s going to out-of-the-blue decide to plaster on the blue glitter and crazy hair.

Post # 28
    9841 posts
    Buzzing Beekeeper
    • Wedding: August 2012

If you want something that specific you should pay IMO.

But honestly, I understand the desire for a cohesive look during the ceremony, but wouldn’t you rather have all your girls be comfortable in their own skin for the day? I just can’t imagine forcing someone who wears very minimal makeup to do themselves up like a model.

Post # 29
    190 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I am paying but letting them choose; it’s a vintage 1920s themed wedding and they know the guidelines but I am not requiring a specific look.

Post # 30
    4192 posts
    Honey bee
    • Wedding: July 2012 - Baltimore Museum of Industry

I’m paying for our makeup, but that’s because none of us are really good at it! :)-

For hair, whatever they want- I’m just having two, so it will look better if they coordinate up or down, but it’s their call.

Post # 31
    893 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: May 2013

I agree with some of the PPs – if you want something specific, you should pay for it.

The topic ‘Who’s Deciding Your Bridesmaids’ Beauty Look?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors