(Closed) who’s responsible for the fire permit?

posted 10 years ago in Venue
Post # 3
2765 posts
Sugar bee

Is it in the contract that she will provide the fire permit?  If so, then I don’t think she will take responsibility for it.

Also, my personal sense is that a florist shouldn’t have to get a fire permit; either the party or the venue should secure it and make a mockup (probably the party). 

An alternative is to use led lights… if done well, they can work really really well!

Post # 4
438 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: April 2008

the florist has nothing to do with having to get the permit.  SHe’s only responsible for what you asked her to do.  The venue shoudl already have something in place if they allow candles.  If they don’t normally allow them, they have to give permission for them and either you or they have to get the permit.  I don’t know about that costing money.  Our venue had a permit already, but we could only have enclosed flames, no open candles.  We had the option of paying for the fire marshall to be there to allow for open flames at $50/hr. 

Post # 6
146 posts
Blushing bee
  • Wedding: September 2008

We’re having our wedding in downtown LA, and all the venues that we have checked out have told us that we needed a fire permit to have candles. They have a certain height requirement as well. So with this in mind all the florists that we checked out all knew that LA required a fire permit and they all said they would  get one. It makes sense for the florist to get the fire permit because she has to do a mock up of the centerpiece. I know that the fire marshall usually does some simple tests here and there like slightly nudging it to see if it falls over etc. So if would be good for the florist to get it since she can set everything up, and also make adjustments if it fails to get a permit, etc.

On the other hand, if your florist is going to charge 200 to do it, then I say you should just do it, and save some money.

If your candles need to be adhered down i believe you can buy candle dots, or candle adhesive cheap online.

Post # 8
2292 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: July 2008

Even if the fire permit is free, I would expect your florist to charge you.  After all, it takes more of her time to make and provide the mock-up, show it to the fire department…  and time is money.  If you don’t want to pay her to do it, then you’ll have to do it yourself.  As far as the mock-up goes, you also might have better luck if you tell her when you need it, and ask about additional charges.  Some florists automatically include a mock-up of the centerpiece, and some don’t.  Ours told us that she would do one in the shop for us, so that we could see it, but if we wanted to take it home we would be charged for it (which makes perfect sense to me).  After all, once again she is not only spending time making the centerpiece, but having to provide extra materials.

The other requirement is more problematic, depending on what they mean by "non-mobile surface."  If affixing the candle holders to a large mirror or a charger is acceptable, then that’s not hard to do. But technicall something like that is mobile.  You probably can’t affix them to the table, as you’ll have table linens.  As far as what to use, I would look for earthquake putty.  If you’re in CA you can get it about anywhere.  If not, you can order it online. 


The topic ‘who’s responsible for the fire permit?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors