Post # 1
I am trying to find a location for a rehearsal dinner near New Haven, CT. Based on internet searches, I have narrowed it down to 9 restaurants. Rather than treck out to every single restaurant I am hoping people have eaten at a few of these before and can offer me feedback about the food (good? bad?) and atmosphere.
I am looking for a place that is cute, casual, and fun but with GOOD food.
1. The Greek Olive
3. Eli Whitney
4. La Luna
5. Wicked Wolf
7. Cafe Goodfella’s
8. Bru Room at Bar
Post # 3
- Wedding: September 2012 - Private Residence
@lanipapillon: I know a bunch!! LOVE Geramino’s. I’ve eaten there only once but been to the bar area several times and it is such a great atmosphere. Definately more on the “trendy” side of things. La Luna, we’ve had a bunch of family brunch/dinners there. If you are looking for your standard rehersal dinner location, it’s a good choice, but also a bit out of new haven. Wicked Wolf: more of a bar scene I’d say. Cafe Goodfella’s: GREAT Italian food, casual atmosphere, delish! Leon’s: nice location on the water, good food, and a little more of a classy-but-casual atmosphere. Bar: def another bar scene. But their pizza is delish, and the place is very popular at night.
Post # 4
@woodpecker: Thanks so much! That’s super helpful. I think then I can cut out Leon’s, as I think it might be too classy for a rehearsal dinner, and Bar and Wicked Wolf because we don’t want a bar scene. Phew, nice not to have to treck out to 9 different places.
Post # 5
yes, maybe i have been to all of them – well almost…
1. The Greek Olive – imo it is older and a bit dated. havent eaten there. long wharf may not be convenient if guests are staying downtown.
2. Geronimo’s – fun atmosphere, good party room downstairs, great food.
3. Eli Whitney – in hamden – a bit out of the way. private room is downstairs and feels banquety but upstairs is like a beer bar and burger place. casual and fun place to grab a beer with friends without being overly crowded
4. La Luna – traditional outside of new haven. feels a little uninspired to me.
5. Wicked Wolf – definitely a bar scene – as in line out the door to get in and a massive dance floor
6. Kelly’s – great place – nice private room in the back, upscale for a bar, but definitely relaxed and casual. has a fireplace and cool vibe.
7. Cafe Goodfella’s – awesome for italian. sometimes they have live music.
8. Bru Room at Bar – if you want pizza, go here. but go early or you will be overtaken by 21 year olds.
9. Leon’s – Eh – smells like mold, decor is too minimalist, food is good though.
You may want to check out Park Central on the Hamden/New Haven line too.
Post # 6
Wicked Wolf used to be awesome.. I forgot what it was called.. It’s definitely the bar scene, I didn’t even know they had food. 😉
Post # 7
@TopazWedding: I actually ended up checking out Wicked Wolf’s back room (as a pit stop to more offically checking out Kelly’s backroom) and it was really awesome, with huge arches and a lot of personality, similar to the front area (ps: my Fiance told me it used to be called the Playwright)
Post # 8
I would go with Geronimo’s. It’s a good middle of the road option and is more updated then some of your other choices.
Post # 9
That’s it! I spent many a nights there drinking.. It does have so much personality, I loved being in the upstairs bar. Anyways.. Good luck with your hunt!
Post # 10
@mwitter80: seriously… we went into the Greek Olive and were downright depressed. I mean, the backroom is okay, but the front room was just…plain and empty…and lacking personality
Post # 11
Wicked Wolf is a bar. It used to be the Playwright. The back room was a dance club back in the day – I spent a lot of random college nights there. The atmosphere is cool because the building used to be a church….not sure what the back looks like now but from what I know, I think their food is bar food, not high quality. But I could be wrong.
Bru Room at bar – pizza only, very young crowd, terrible service!
Eli’s – very good food, nice atmosphere. This is right by my house and we eat here frequently. The bar gets too packed but they have a seperate dining room and also you can get your own private function room too.
Kelly’s – not impressed by the food at all. Only eaten there once so it coulda been a fluke but I won’t return.
Hope this helps.
Post # 12
@mwitter80: thanks! My Fiance went to Geronimo and poked his head in the private room the other night–said it was really nice—so now we just have to check it out together