- 4 years ago
My boyfriend and I have been debating this issue for a while. We have different opinions on money, spending, and homes. We are talking of getting engaged and marrying in the next year or so, but we have such different opinions on things. He has a home that he just paid off on a really nice golf course. It is kinda smallish about 1700 square foot, and I hate the layout. He makes a great income but is one that doesn’t like to spend money on things not nessasary. His opinion is that a big home is not nessasary. I have a 4000sq foot home I am about to sell, and move into a rent home for the next year. I will be downsizing considerably. He thinks his house is all we would need even with my 2 kids, who are 16, and 20 (while she finishes college). I think we will be on top of each other. He has never had this many ppl under one roof. His previous marriage was with a woman with 1 child, and he keeps saying it was plenty of them. I really think when it comes time, the only fair thing is for him to sell his house, as I am, and us get a home together that is a little bigger. He always just makes a joke of it, or changes the subject but I know he really doesnt want to. If we couldn’t afford it, that is one thing, you make due with what you can afford. And that is just it, he makes alone more than twice what my ex husband and I made combined, and I make a decent salary myself, and want to spend on things important to me. Which a house is really important to me. I feel you shouldnt blow all your money, but you should enjoy it, if you can pay all debts, save, and support charities. But honestly he lives on just about 20% of what he makes, and saves the other 80%. I personally think that is just ridiculus. Not saying you spend it all, but I definately think you can spend enough to enjoy things in life that make life worth living. So in this situation is it too much to expect him to sell and us buy something together that is more comfortable for a family, in light of the fact he can more than afford something a little bigger? or should I settle for his smaller paid for house, that I just don’t like.