Why do you celebrate Christmas?

posted 12 months ago in Holidays
  • poll: BONUS question: What do Christmas trees mean to you?
    They’re just a tradition : (38 votes)
    63 %
    For decoration, like any other houseplant : (11 votes)
    18 %
    It holds symbolic significance : (10 votes)
    17 %
    Other : (1 votes)
    2 %
  • Post # 16
    106 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2019

I’m a Christian so of course there’s the celebration of Jesus. But I love all of the Santa, elves, leaving cookies out, garland and sparkle! I’ve never seen the tree specifically as something other than a symbol for the holiday.  Our family has made a tradition of hosting a Christmas party at the local homeless shelter and it’s so fulfilling. The adults in my family don’t exchange gifts but I love watching the kids open all of their goodies. It’s such a special time of year, I love to find ways to just be extra kind to people. People don’t have to believe in Jesus, but I do and I just love the compassionate and kind heart of God. If I can pass that along, whether we have the same beliefs or not, I’m happy.

Post # 17
    913 posts
    Busy bee
    • Wedding: January 2017

I celebrate personally for religious reasons. I actually hate pretty much everything about Christmas except for advent, midnight mass, spending time with family, and giving back to the community. I’m super anti-capitalist so I just get annoyed with everything, though I really have nothing against the secular traditions. My husband, however, enjoys all the decorations and the tree and Santa, so I engage in that now that we have a toddler. Both sets of extended families are somewhat religious but tend to celebrate more based on tradition so we do all those things with them as well. 

What I’m really enjoying now that we have a kid is making our own traditions out of what is important to us. We do gifts for our toddler and Santa because it’s important to D.H, as well as read Sir Gawain and the Green Night because we’re nerds. As the kids get older I’m going to have us adopt angel tree children from DHS each year so they can each shop for a child close to their age. I also look forward to getting into the old St Nicholas traditions since we are Catholic. 

Post # 18
    1149 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: February 2018 - UK

We’re a family of atheists. We were both brought up with Christmas, so we now think of it as a simple tradition. I like the opportunity to buy gifts for the people I love, and to have a few days off work to overeat and see family.

We very rarely do much else. This is the first year we’ve had anything bigger than a tiny table-top tree, and it’s the only decoration we have. We just do the gifts and go out for dinner on Christmas Day, and that’s about it. 

If we had children then we’d probably make a bigger deal of it, but as it is we’re fairly low key.

Post # 19
    1291 posts
    Bumble bee

We’re Christian and I love celebrating Christ’s birth, gathering with family, and making traditional Caribbean Christmas foods with my parents. We also always celebrate with people who don’t have family to go to so it’s always fun and our home (or the home where we go) is always full. Not big on gifts since becoming an adult but we’re expecting our first and I’m excited to have my first Christmas centered on them next year and think more about appropriate gifts. 😊

Post # 20
    365 posts
    Helper bee

I don’t think too much about why. I just do.

Post # 21
    108 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: May 2019 - Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress

We’re Christian and actually do not celebrate Christmas. It’s been well-proven Jesus was born in the equivalent of September, and as @echomomm says, Christmas is a holiday invented by church leaders that’s completely comprised of preexisting pagan traditions. The Bible warns against doing so, so we don’t.

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors