(Closed) Why not 100% ?

posted 5 years ago in TTC
Post # 3
4680 posts
Honey bee

Basically what you said is, to my knowledge, correct. Very, very early miscarriages (so early you didn’t know you were pregnant) are also common. Though I believe sperm not making it to the egg is the most common reason. That’s why it’s recommended that women lay on their back with their hips propped up after sex when TTC. Gravity helps the sperm. 

Post # 4
453 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

It’s funny you say this!  I was looking it up and came across a youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SFOpHiS-tA) called The Great Sperm Race that I’m finding hilarious- I’m only 10 minutes in, but they have scientific explanations while scaling the sperm to human size, meaning they have hundres of actors dressed in white running around and is explaining why it doesn’t work every time!

Post # 7
453 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4SFOpHiS-tA

here’s the link (edited previous post)… it def has the science/educational factor, but can you imagine the casting call? 

<sorry, didnt mean to threadjack!>

Post # 9
75 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

Its pretty informative and good for a little laugh too! Laughing

Post # 10
4355 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: June 2013

@H2MrsDj:  Too funny, DH is like what the heck are you watching?!

Post # 11
5110 posts
Bee Keeper

@kelly105:  What you said is exactly it. You have a 20% chance of conceiving every cycle under the most ideal circumstances, because there are SO many things that can go wrong. Not enough sperm can make it, the sperm that do could be defective, they could have gone down the wrong tube, they could not have the enzyme to penetrate an egg, it could be an underdeveloped ovum, the ocum could have an impenatrable wall, it could not be a nutritious endometrium, the egg could have died before the sperm get there, I mean, there I are literally SO many things that can go wrong, it’s amazing we get pregnant at all. Take embryology or even just physiology – it’s MINDBLOWING.

Plus, it’s something like 30% of all pregnancies end in miscarriage. Chromosomal issues, blood clots, I mean, seriously, it’s unbelievable. That’s often why they recommend to wait one year before medical intervention, so you go through a 1 in five chance at least twice before seeing a doctor.

Post # 12
9057 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: June 2010

One of the major reasons is chromosomal abnormalities.  When the egg and sperm meet if the genetic shake up makes a combination that’s not a viable embryo, it just kinda spontaneously aborts (before you would even know there was a pregnancy).  Or it just doesn’t nestle into the uterine lining well enough, sometimes due to low progesterone or other issues.

Post # 13
378 posts
Helper bee

I am not yet TTC but I just watched that whole video lol. It was funny and I actually learned a lot. 🙂

Post # 16
5110 posts
Bee Keeper

@kelly105:  Inside the forming umbilical cord, blocking a blood supply to the fetus. Often they are self resolving though.

The topic ‘Why not 100% ?’ is closed to new replies.

Get our weekly roundup of the best of Weddingbee.
I agree to receive emails from the site. I can withdraw my consent at any time by unsubscribing.

Find Amazing Vendors