(Closed) Why the huge price difference between online & jewelry store tunsten rings?

posted 6 years ago in Rings
Post # 3
9483 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2012

@D0GL0VER: Hm, no idea.  I’m actually interested myself.  I found one for $60 online, but now sure how much it would go for in stores.  Fortunately, I don’t have to buy one at all anymore because of a generous person.  =)

Post # 4
11391 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

My husband’s was 56 bucks on overstock.com. Super thick 8mm wide & gorgeous! Same thing as in the jewelry store. Also no scratches on it whatsoever. He lifts weights, goes to work, ect all while wearing his ring! Its also marked on the inside of it Tungsten Carbide just like the jewelry store’s rings. 🙂

Also realized today his band is higher priced than when we bought it, but only buy like 10 bucks or something. Either way still under 70 bucks which really beats the 250+ mark up jewelry stores do.

Post # 5
35 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I got my Fiance a ring for fathers day from an ebay seller for 35$ plus i think 10 for shipping and it was custom engraved with the design i showed the seller with a maltese cross on the outside and a message inside and he LOVES it. it looks so nice

Post # 6
1458 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2015

I think it’s because they have to account for overhead costs associated with running a physical business. Did you buy it from a store like Zales, Kay’s, Jared’s etc.? They notoriously overcharge. I’d definitely buy online…

Post # 7
662 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2012

I’ve wondered the same thing. It’s not just a little price different- we’re talking at least $100 more- in some cases more.

Post # 8
11391 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2010

@alicia1745: I think its just mark up for profit. Kind of like a pawn shop, they will buy a necklace for 50 bucks then sell it for 150-200 bucks. 

Post # 10
701 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: August 2012

I would return it, I mean it’s not wrong to tell a business- I love this product, but I found a similar product at a significantly better price. Consumers drive the market!

Post # 11
913 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: April 2014

You could always go in there and tell them what you found online and ask if they will refund some of what you paid. Tell them you understand they need higher margins than an online shop, but a 200% markup is ridiculous.

Post # 13
7311 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011 - Bed & Breakfast

You’re paying for the store’s overhead and profit. We purchased from our jeweler, full well knowing that we were paying more than we would have to online. But we were able to support a small local business that is amazing to us, give a comission to our wonderful associate, and know that if anything happens to the ring, they will handle it for us.

Post # 13
15 posts
Newbee

I bought my wedding band off eBay for $500 after trying on the EXACT one at a jeweler for $1050. When I took my new ring to be tested for authenticity they told me the gold and diamonds were real and great quality. Im SO in love with it, and just wanted to share 🙂 

• This reply was modified 3 years, 11 months ago by  danih82.
Post # 14
1437 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: January 2011

My husband’s ring was $12 on eBay. Its tungsten and has been identical to all the ones we have seen in stores. No issues. 

Post # 15
3070 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2014

I was wondering this as well. My Fiance and I have been looking for bands, and he’s drawn to Tungsten as well. We’ve gone to several jewelers (chain stores and family owned), and they were all around $200. We went to get stand in rings yesterday for our honeymoon and we found a Tungsten one for $38. It’s a really nice band too. He’s been wearing it around saying how comfy it is. I don’t get the mark up either. 

The topic ‘Why the huge price difference between online & jewelry store tunsten rings?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors