(Closed) Will a 3 mm eternity band overshadow a 1.25ct solitaire?

posted 9 years ago in Rings
Post # 17
1136 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2011

I think a smaller band would look nicer, but I’m never a fan of large, wide bands. I think they overpower the e-ring and usually make the center stone look smaller. I think the inspiration picture you posted is pretty, but I think it would look better a little thinner. 

Post # 19
153 posts
Blushing bee

I like the thicker wedding band – so stunning.

My idea is to have a 2.3-2.5mm engagement ring and my wedding band be equal or larger… have to wait untill the ring is finihsed and see.

I think your idea is amazing! Go try some on together at the jewlery store to get a size idea ๐Ÿ™‚

Post # 21
1043 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@Paiger8:  So the tiffany one is the knife edge, right?  I would ask others on here, but I had a knife edge ring for 6 years and hated it!  I always found it uncomfortable.  I even brought it to the jeweler for them to round out the edge but it still was awful.  Sucks because I paid a lot for that setting.

Post # 22
3683 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2012

I think 3mm is a bit thick.  2 or 2.5 will be perfect.

Post # 24
334 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2009

I don’t have any input in regards to the band width, but I thought I would pipe in about the center stone size.  Personally, (unless you have really dainty fingers), I would go with the 1.5 equivalent solely because “stone shrinkage” is unfortunately a very real thing.  Also, while it might seem big while you’re just engaged, it always seems to me that no matter the band size, and especially if you want to go with a thicker band, once you have your e-ring paired with your w-band, the stone seems smaller yet.  I recommend buying some fakesies and wearing them as RHRs around the house for a while to see which you really want.  After all, you’ve got five months right (=.  Best of luck!   

Post # 25
2812 posts
Sugar bee

@Paiger8:  I personally like the thinner band because it showcases the stone better…

I agree with 

View original reply
@NurseMarriedToAFarmer:  and I think you have a lesser chance of this happening with a thin band because the center stone will appear larger.

Post # 27
1043 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@Paiger8:  For me personally, I found that the sides of the knife edge dug into the sides of my other two fingers.  It didn’t hurt per se, but I found it very uncomfortable compared to other settings.  I too had it sized up once, but that made it worse because then the ring would spin around a lot more.  My setting was platinum, however, and I also did not like the weight of it, so that could have also played into my dislike for it.

I have a 5.75 sized finger and I love the way the 1.5ct looks on it.  If you have a chance to get a bigger stone, I’m all for that ๐Ÿ™‚  But, if you are just about to graduate college, you may get some questions about the size unless you are upfront about it being a moissy (not to judge, but if I saw a 1.5ct on a new college grad, I would probably wonder)

Post # 28
426 posts
Helper bee

I say go big or go home ! I have a 2ct diamond and I could care less if anyone if gonna think it’s real or fake an official proposal hasnt happend yet so I haven’t had personal experience but I’m sure there will be assumptions.. if it is diamond the haters are gonna think it’s fake no matter what so it doesn’t matter I dont plan on correcting people and defending myself and I’m not one who brags either and I don’t think I want strangers to know either… I would almost prefer they think it’s ” fake” depending on who’s commenting there’s a lot of creepers out there !! 

And I love moissy’s I want one so bad after all the good things I hear ! So i there’s no reason to go smaller to please others 

Post # 30
4176 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: December 2011

pay the extra $200 now. it’s far cheaper than labor to get a new stone and reset it later.

i love the look of eternity band and solitaire. but i would get a 3/4 eternity for resizing purposes later.

The topic ‘Will a 3 mm eternity band overshadow a 1.25ct solitaire?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors