(Closed) Will a 3 mm eternity band overshadow a 1.25ct solitaire?

posted 9 years ago in Rings
Post # 32
1224 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: June 2009 - Mountain Meadow/Mansion

It’s all a matter of personal taste, but I would say go for the thinner band. I have a 1.77 emerald (traveling, so can’t post pics but I have one in my “gallery” tab) on a 2.5 and I love that DH got me the bigger band because he thought it would be sturdier, but I think the stone will stand out on the new 2mm setting I am getting (love what I have now, but had an opportunity to get a Tacori I wanted for our 3rd anniversary). When we were looking to reset it, I looked for a thinner band for this reason. Also, as an aside, I have a knife edge setting and it doesn’t bother me even a little bit. You shouldn’t have a problem. Congratulations on your upcoming engagement!

Post # 34
1043 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

For a $200 difference, I would get the bigger stone now.

I had a 1.25ct Asha and currently have a 1.5ct round.  I used to hold the two next to each other all the time, and I could not tell the difference, but I think that was because the Asha was so well cut and my real diamond was not.  The 1.25ct looked like the 1.5ct.  I’m sorry I don’t have a photo to show the difference.

I also have a 1.5ct Asha princess solitaire.  I have a 1/2ctwt half eternity band that is I believe 2mm wide.  I will take a photo of the two together so you can get an idea of how it will look.  I know you’re getting a round, but I think a 1.5ct princess faces up about the size of a 1.25ct round.

ETA – my 1.5ct round is in a halo I don’t think I would be much help there.

Post # 36
1043 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: November 1999

@Paiger8:  There is a barely noticable difference between the two sizes, at least on my computer screen.  I still would get the bigger stone Laughing

I took some quick photos for you.

This is the 2mm 1/2ctwt half eternity band by itself.  My ring size is 5.75 for reference.

Here is the band with my 1.5ct Asha.  The band on the Asha is less than 2mm.

The band on my 1.5ct halo is 2.5mm so maybe that will help.  Sorry this one is blurry – my battery on the camera was dying.

And here it is with the band.

Post # 38
704 posts
Busy bee

For those who have suggested 3/4 eternity band, that’s what I was considering for a while since I didn’t want to bang the stones on the bottom and, of course, for resizing purposes.

BUT! I was informed by my jewler that even if it’s 3/4 eternity, they still have to adjust *all* the prongs regardless to account for the change in size (since it would cause the prongs to shift). I was told (by 2 jewelers I trust) that it wouldn’t change the amount of work much if I went with 3/4.

In the end, I went with full eternity with this info and since it also meant I didn’t have to worry about re-positioning my ring for life if it spins.

Also, I have a knife-edge (engagement) band and don’t find it at all uncomfortable. Maybe it’s because my ‘knife edge’ is softened versus super sharp? I’m sure it also depends on how used to jewelry you are, how you hold your hand usually, etc… but I thought I’d chime in for anyone considering knife edge – I wouldn’t get too dissuaded. I love mine.

Post # 39
3 posts
Wannabee

Well, I am in the same boat….. I am going with the ASHA Classic Tiffany – 1.25 final answer!!! i think with the clarity of Moissy or ASHA it is going to look bigger than it really is anyway. I really like the Pic u posted with the thinner wedding band next to the solitaire.

I’d say smaller now…  Upgrade later 🙂 More Realistic

Post # 40
869 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2013

deleted because not relevant. misread post. 😀

Post # 40
13 posts
Newbee
  • Wedding: March 2015

If you have a 1.25 carat, I would definitely do a 2mm or smaller band. I have a 1.34 carat center with 2mm pave band. also, my wedding band is a 1.3 carat eternity u-prong at 2.6mm. I didn’t want to go over 2.5 because it would’ve taken away from the center diamond.

The topic ‘Will a 3 mm eternity band overshadow a 1.25ct solitaire?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors