Will July 2021 be "safe" for 150+ person weddings?

posted 5 days ago in Engagement
  • poll: Do you think July 2021 weddings will be safe from COVID impact?

Yes, I think there will be a vaccine/effective treatment by then.

Yes and no. There might be a vaccine, but it won't be widely available.

Maybe. I'm very undecided and think it could go either way.

No, I do not think there will be a vaccine/effective treatment by then.

• Post # 2
    13 posts
    Newbee

I think it will be tricky to predict since it’s not just about the vaccine, it’s about who’s willing to get it. If it’s like the flu vaccine, then are certain populations (the immunocompromised/infants) that are not able to get the regular weakened pathogen vaccine and may not be able to afford the antibody vaccine, so they rely on herd immunity. If there is an effective vaccine, the trajectory and severity of the disease should decrease, but like with many diseases like measles, it’s not down to zero. 

(I’m not an expert, just a gal with a Biochemistry and Cell Bio degree)

Post # 3
    191 posts
    Blushing bee

Don’t put any money down that you can’t get back is my advice. We have no idea what a year will look like from now.

Post # 4
    2263 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2020

I really hope so. I think there will be a vaccine and I think people will have access to it… but I think there will be many morons who refuse to get it. I voted maybe because I’m hoping proof of vaccination will become almost mandatory to do the things people want to do (go back to work, send your kid to camp, etc.). If forced between yes and no, I would guess yes, the wedding will be okay to go forward. 

Post # 5
    163 posts
    Blushing bee
    • Wedding: April 2021 - Chicago, IL

Well I sure hope so! I’m in IL also, and we’re still hoping for our <100 wedding for April 2021. If not, we are postponing till fall 2021. Hopefully all will be much more calm come next July!

Post # 6
    13355 posts
    Honey Beekeeper

I voted “maybe” but that said, I don’t know that a vaccine will be widely distributed by then or even that it will prove effective in all demographics, for how long, or without serious side effects in a larger population sample. I’d prefer to err on the side of caution and would not book anything that you can’t get fully refunded.

Personally, due to the uncertainty and the direction this thing is going, if it was me I’d get married now and have a delayed reception when this whole mess is over, whenever that might be. I wouldn’t plan any thing now. 

Post # 8
    5282 posts
    Bee Keeper

View original reply
    @chyangra:  From the way things are going right now, I doubt it. Obviously, I don’t know this for a fact but I say I’m about 75% thinking that there will still be no vaccine. We had all these hopes during spring that warm weather will slow corona by summer because of the heat but look at the US infection rates, it’s worse than ever. And many people are just getting too laxed or just stopped caring. By the way, does anyone know what happened to those vaccine volunteers that were given trial shots in the spring?

Post # 9
    7528 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: October 2014

They are already expecting major shortages in the supply chain when it comes to things like glass vials and needles. There’s close to no chance they’ll have created and tested a vaccine, packaged it, distributed it, and injected in ~210 million Americans (the level of coverage estimated before transmission rates go down) in the next 12 months.

Post # 10
    7462 posts
    Busy Beekeeper
    • Wedding: February 1997

Even if we have a vaccine in late winter or early spring, there may be issues discovered with it after that point. While drug-makers do everything possible to find those things out during clinical trials, it is always possible to miss something that isn’t apparent greater numbers of doses are administered. Unlikely? Perhaps, but I guess because there are no guarantees, I wouldn’t invest a whole lot of money in something I couldn’t be sure of. No one can know at this point.

Post # 11
    10541 posts
    Sugar Beekeeper
    • Wedding: City, State

I doubt it myself but only time will tell.

You also have to factor in not just a working vaccine being created but people being willing to actually take the vaccine which looks not great. 

Post # 12
    514 posts
    Busy bee

No. One. Knows.

Post # 13
    Hostess
    2578 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: October 2017

I’m hoping for my BIL’s sake that their July 2021 wedding turns out as planned but I can see it being a no go if we get a second wave.

Post # 14
    437 posts
    Helper bee

From talking to my dad, who is a virologist, he is pretty confident we will have at least a semi-effective vaccine by early 2021. The wild cards are 1) production/supply chain and 2) participation. So many people don’t bother getting the flu shot, I’m pretty concerned we will see a low level of people who get the COVID vaccine – and since it’s unlikely to be one of our more effective vaccines, that puts even those of us responsible enough to get it at risk.  

Leave a comment

Find Amazing Vendors