(Closed) Will we get ripped off if we go to Cartier?

posted 9 years ago in Rings
  • poll: Are we getting ripped off?
    Yes, very much so : (72 votes)
    41 %
    A bit, but considering it is Cartier, not too bad : (61 votes)
    35 %
    No, sounds reasonable : (41 votes)
    24 %
  • Post # 17
    2393 posts
    Buzzing bee
    • Wedding: September 2011

I think you are definitely paying more for the name.  You could have an independant jeweler custom make it for half that price.  Honestly, I don’t like how it has a brand name on it.

Post # 18
    1470 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: March 2014

It doesn’t sound outrageous to me. It’s a lot of gold and you said a big ring size. Maybe a few extra hundred for the name but I was expecting you two say a lot more than what the price actually is. 

Post # 19
    797 posts
    Busy bee

You are right to think you’re paying for the name. At the end of the day, gold is a tradeable commodity, it has a specific cost per ounce. The gold used at Cartier is the same as the jewelry at WalMart. Gold is gold is gold. This is a very basic style and with a little research, you could find something identical for a fraction of the price.

Post # 20
    2405 posts
    Buzzing bee

I don’t think it really has a brand name on the ring itself, I think that’s just the photo.

Post # 22
    292 posts
    Helper bee
    • Wedding: November 2012

@MrsMermaid:  

I love Cartier, and the trinity rings are beautiful, but yes, of course you are paying for the name, it’s like Tiffany’s.

Post # 23
    2503 posts
    Sugar bee
    • Wedding: June 2012

I think you are definitely paying a little extra for the name but it depends on what that name is worth to you. For example, some people think the extra T&Co. markup is worth the customer service, the free cleaning, and the invitations to private parties (one of our friends has a full T&Co. bridal set) but another person would be content paying 50% less to clean their own jewelry and buying online. So it if means a lot to you that Cartier made the ring and stands behind the product, then it is totally worth it.

In addition, if your Fiance is like the majority of other men, this is probably the only piece of actual jewelry he’s going to wear, so what’s $1450 stretched over a lifetime? However, if he’s the kind of guy that’s going to forget to wear his ring or lose it constantly, then I would caution against buying this ring.

FWIW, I’m not opposed to the ring being from Cartier or even the price, but I don’t love the fact that the ring says “Cartier” on the side. If it was a casual jewelry piece, it’s one thing but I’m opposed to a wedding band that you wear daily that has the brand scrawled on the outside.

Post # 24
    341 posts
    Helper bee

I don’t think it’s a horrible price.  Plenty of people here have paid much much more for a simple diamond band or plain platinum band.  The Cartier trinity ring is a such a beautiful, classic piece.  It’s worth it.

Post # 25
    1075 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: November 1999

It is a lovely ring and of course you are going to pay extra because of the name. When you think of all the ideas you implemented and know we brides dont really care about our FI’s opinions (just kidding) we do it to give the appearance we care what they think…hahaha So long story short let him have this and spend a little extra to make him happy. 

Post # 26
    83 posts
    Worker bee
    • Wedding: December 2012

totally reasonable Cool

Post # 27
    356 posts
    Helper bee

@MrsMermaid:  It’s beautiful, and while a little (lot?) more money, you’re getting 18k gold and a warranty.  Cartier will stand by any defects or problems with it so you’re not just paying more money for the name and their marketing, you’re paying for their reputation.

I say go for it; hopefully it’ll look as stunning in 50 years!

Post # 28
    1033 posts
    Bumble bee
    • Wedding: May 2012

You will pay a premium for the name brand.

Post # 29
    7550 posts
    Bumble Beekeeper
    • Wedding: April 2019

I think it’s a great price, and yes you are paying for the name but there’s nothing wrong with that if you love the company. I have a Tiffany’s engagement ring and plan on getting the plain yellow gold Tiffany’s wedding band, it will cost $850, I know I am paying a little more for the name but I don’t mind 🙂

The topic ‘Will we get ripped off if we go to Cartier?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors