(Closed) work literally making me sick … can i quit & file for unemployment?

posted 6 years ago in Career
Post # 3
10287 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2011

I didn’t even think you were able to collect unemployment if you voluntarily quit. It would seem like your best bet would be to seek out new employment and then quit your job. Even if you have to take a pay cut just to get out, it would probably still be right around as much as you’d get on unemployment. 

Post # 4
3771 posts
Honey bee
  • Wedding: October 2012

I think you should just try to find a new job. Don’t quit though. Be patient and something will hopefully come through 😀 

Post # 5
5423 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: November 2012

I would def look for a new job and not quit.  I dont think you can collect.  As far as your work conditions go, file a complaint with osha.

Post # 6
2702 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: November 2011

I am going to go against PPs and say that you should quit. But I would only quit if you can afford to. Is your FI’s income able to support the both of you? If worse comes to worst, you can pick up a retail or waitressing job until you get back on your feet? I don’t think ANYONE should be miserable at a job. Especially if it affects their health – physically or mentally. You have to do what is best for you

ETA: I don’t think you can file for unemployment. I’m pretty sure you can only file if you have been laid off and in some cases, fired. It depends if your employer agrees to unemployment if you have been fired

Post # 7
322 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2012

I’m sorry you are dealing with this. I wish I had an answer but I am dealing with the same “unfit” work environment. The only thing that keeps me going is my constant job search and the feeling that one day I can go into the office with my 2 weeks notice.

I know that the Department of Labor’s Worker’s Compensation Program may be able to help you. If you read up on it, it may be able to provide compensation for your illnesses and associated expenses if they are deemed to be work related. Although not a cure for the job itself, many of your expenses may be compensible.

Does your employer have an Employee Assistance Program that perhaps you could go talk to someone and figure out ways to manage the anxiety and stress?

I have done this numerous times for my job and it’s amazing how much just venting to someone can help and they gave me great coping mechanisms to deal with the stress.

I hope you find some relief soon.

Post # 8
9824 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper

I think you’re just going to have to do what everyone else does when they hate their job, go guns blazing trying to find another, then quit.

Post # 9
1949 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: August 2011

I would suggest contacting your province’s Work Safe commission. (Here it’s WorkSafe NB). File a complain annonymously that there are unhealthy work conditions. They will HAVE to follow up.

They have the authority to demand testing/get the results and can shut the palce down if it’s unsafe to work in.

EDIT: I don’t think you’ll be able to claim EI if you quit. I’ve only heard of one case of this, and she got paid EI because they interviewed the boss/co workers and determined that it was a harrassing work situation…this was my replacement who left 8 weeks after I found a new job.

Post # 10
7431 posts
Busy Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2009

you can’t get unemployment because you are quitting. I would suggest calling the health dept and reporting them

Post # 11
650 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: May 2012

I would start searching for another job, take the first thing that comes up and then leave. Once you are at the new job, you can always keep looking for something else that pays like your old one did and eventually go where you will be happy.

I am about 99% sure you cant just “quit” and collect anything.

Post # 12
5766 posts
Bee Keeper

Don’t be so quick to walk out, because of almost any reason you deem to be the cause for your quitting, unemployment will not pay you. The employer will fight you on it, and unless and until you have documentaion about any injuries you’ve suffered that MIGHT be work related, you won’t get a thing.

Workman’s Comp. is also not pleasant and not a given, and you’ll need an attorney to walk you through it and send you to 9 million Drs. to get one or some of them to say your injuries were caused by your work environment. The opposing side will do exactly the same, and you’ll spend the next 5 years trying to be compensated IF they decide to give you any money at all.

I’d be looking for another job and then give your notice.

Post # 13
340 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: May 2013

Call your state’s unemployment compensation department. My state says we still may be eligible for unemployment if we quit do to an unsafe work environment. Start documenting your sickness, what they’ve done, etc and call and see if you have a case.

Good luck!

Post # 14
1222 posts
Bumble bee
  • Wedding: September 2015

Wow that sucks….sorry you have to deal With that. You should be able to go on disability if you explain (&emphasize) the anxiety to your doctor. Then maybe you can use the time off to find another job…good luck!!

Post # 15
52 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: February 2013

If you are really getting this sick you really should quit! 

I note your post is from a while ago.. are you still in the same job?

I feel so terrible for you> I know exactly what it is liek to feel constantly on edge at work. It completely destroys your enjoyment of life. 

Post # 16
9087 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: December 2012

In PA (If you live there), you can claim unemployment only if you lose your job under no fault of your own. Quitting does not fall under this.

The topic ‘work literally making me sick … can i quit & file for unemployment?’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors