(Closed) Work/HR advice

posted 5 years ago in Career
Post # 3
1904 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: April 2016

View original reply
kitty_cupcake:  You need to look up hostile work environment laws in your area, on your own computer not your work computer. Read how to properly file this complaint. File in writing so you have a copy incase you need to talk to a lawyer. You want to document every hostile event. I wouldn’t talk/vent to your coworkers while at the job. If you have friends that happen to be coworkers meet for coffee to vent, but be sure the venting doesn’t become gossip. Remain professional at all times.

Post # 4
13898 posts
Honey Beekeeper
  • Wedding: November 1999

If your manager makes you cry, you need to take it to HR or to her supervisor.  Her behavior is unprofessional.  I don’t completely follow what you do and the issue with cc’ing people on orders, but even if what you did was wrong, she handled it inappropriately. 

Post # 5
256 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: October 2016

I come from HR so I’ll give you my two cents on this:

This is bullying and it is a hostile work environment. If your supervisor had an issue with something, it is unacceptable to be so hyper-reactive towards you and attack your character due to a work issue. If she had a problem with something that you did, she should’ve confronted you about it with a witness in the room. What she did, as a supervisor, is highly frowned upon.

Normally when issues come to HR, you do not have to worry about them being biased. In a usual SOP for cases like this, the HR manager will listen to your complaint, ask questions about what happened/why, and ask for the other party involved to come in to give their side.

Once both sides have told their story, it is not uncommon for the HR manager to bring both of you in for a meeting that the HR person will mediate. This is where both sides are heard, and all parties involved attempt to come up with a solution. If issues continue after this mediation, then further action will be taken. If your supervisor continues to treat you as anything other than a professional post mediation, then follow up with HR and further action will be taken.

*Make sure when you’re talking to HR, you remain professional. Don’t make attacks towards your supervisor about why you think she treats you a certain way, but tell them point-blank what she did/said/etc. Bring any e-mail/papertrail that you have to support your complaint.

Post # 6
9525 posts
Buzzing Beekeeper
  • Wedding: October 2013

go to HR.  when I worked at my old job, i went to HR about a co-worker that was constantly saying inappropriate things to me.  i filed a formal complaint and it was taken care of.

Post # 7
484 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

You have a problem, but this is in no way a hostile work environment in the legal sense. That is reserved for situations where an employee is being targeted because of her race, gender, etc. It doesn’t sound at all like that’s what’s happening here.

Can you re-explain what exactly happened? I can’t tell if she’s really being inappropriate or if she’s just being harsh. If it’s the latter, you going to HR isn’t going to help and may hurt. 

Post # 10
5940 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2014

View original reply
kitty_cupcake:  I come from HR, too, and it’s partly going to depend on your HR department. Some are very helpful and actually want to help employees. Others are just plain weird and wacky and will only take managers’ sides. Do you know if they are fair minded in that department? I would definitely be documenting everything. The hung up phone call, the being called stupid. Date, time, explanation. And then I would probably go to HR. She sounds like a nightmare. I’ve worked with nightmares so I feel so bad for you, I know it’s awful.

Post # 12
2860 posts
Sugar bee


How did you arrive at the “85%” figure of those who don’t like her? If you’ve been canvassing the office regarding her popularity, she may have a point.

Post # 14
3212 posts
Sugar bee
  • Wedding: September 2016

Don’t get sucked into her level by involving other junior staff. Go to HR if you are going to anyone in the company.

The topic ‘Work/HR advice’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors