(Closed) Working in 3rd Trimester & After Birth

posted 7 years ago in Babies
Post # 3
2821 posts
Sugar bee

I’d be careful about walking dogs pretty early on.  I still go for runs and walks with both of mine and I’m 6 1/2 months but I know them and their behaviors well.  For our big dog (~75 lbs) we got the easy walk harness and it made me be able to walk him again.  Really at 4 months my center of balance and even the way it felt on my stomach if he’d tug at all was making me uncomfortable so only my husband was walking him for a bit.  My other dog is 35 lbs and hasn’t been a problem yet.  So maybe if you got a good no pull method for the dogs you could go for awhile.

Post # 4
63 posts
Worker bee
  • Wedding: August 2006

How far along are you now?  I’d wait to make determinations about working in your third trimester until the last possible minute (though I know you likely need to set the boarding schedule in advance).

(1) I’m 35 weeks tomorrow, and I have no problem walking (quickly, slowly, upstairs, near run, etc.) with my dog, who is 60-ish pounds and can be a handful.  I’ve not experienced any issues at all with my balance.  I’m 5’4 and have gained about 22 pounds so far, so maybe I’m just lower to the ground and not as easily affected by balance issues!

(2) I’m not having any problems sleeping at all, but I do understand the need to get the house clean — mine looks like a tornado has run through it!  I’m working up until the minute I go into labor (provided there are no sudden health changes in the next five weeks), but I work in an office and can separate work from home (kind of — I have a ridiculously stressful job).

Hope this is a little bit helpful!

Post # 5
1883 posts
Buzzing bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I am 35 weeks too. I’ve gained 27lbs ( so I weigh 127) and all the extra weight is killing me!  I can tell you that I have zero energy to walk my one dog and he is only 20lbs AND  i am totally out of breath when I walk. lol. Not to mention I waddle and sort of bend over when I walk because I constantly have braxton hicks contractions AND constantly have to pee. It’s really fun. =/

Post # 6
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

I was walking my two dogs (about 80 and 40 lbs) up until I had Addie, and then within a couple days of birth.  We have these Gentle Leader harnesses, and that keeps the dogs from pulling; I’ve even taken both of the dogs and the baby out by myself a couple times!  In your business, I would consider choosing which dogs (non-hyper ones) I take out on walks starting around 4 months.  You might want to also consult your doctor about when you should start cutting back; mine said I should start taking precautions immediately, but that no activity was completely off limits until I was about 6 months along or further.

I think stopping overnight visits a month in advance is good.  It’s hard to keep up a house with dogs, anyway, but at about 8 months I couldn’t clean any more without taking frequent, long breaks.  It made keeping up the house a lot harder.

As far as bringing the dogs back into your house…  I don’t know.  If you know these dogs well, and they handle children well, bringing them back in at 3 months shouldn’t be a problem.  But having my baby around dogs whose temperments I don’t know would make me really nervous.  Unless you have a seperate section of the house (or can section the dogs off or start kenneling them), I wouldn’t bring unknown dogs into my house with my kids.  It just seems like too many unpredicatble things that can happen, especially when the baby becomes mobile.

Post # 7
10367 posts
Sugar Beekeeper
  • Wedding: September 2010

What is your backup plan if you get put on bedrest early or if there are complications? Let’s say you tell people you can watch their dogs at your home until month 8. If you got put on bed rest a month before that, do you have contacts in your field that you can field your dogs to? That would be a really good way to approach things with your clients, to give both of you peace of mind!

Post # 8
536 posts
Busy bee
  • Wedding: September 2007

I think my only advice is to have back-up plans for everything. As you can see reading these posts, plenty of women felt ok walking through the very end of pregnancy. Right now I’m about 31 weeks, and I HATE walking a lot of the time- I have to go super slow and I swear EVERYTHING hurts. When I’m feeling up to walking at all, I’m ok walking my well-behaved 35-pound dog because he’s well-trained enough to deal with my slowness and walk beside me, but a couple of attempts with the 60-pound hound who pulls on the leash at the sight of another animal or a big truck sent me straight to bed with a hot water bottle and the desire to never move again (my core muscles just really hurt after trying to stabilize both myself and the dog). (For reference, I’ve gained about 15 pounds, and I’m already miserable with added bulk, so I can’t imagine how much less motivated I’ll be to do all this in a month or two). For the question of when to stop boarding pre-baby, I think it might depend on how much help you can get from your husband… you don’t need to be lugging around big bags of dog food or anything, and if you normally spend a lot of time bending over to refill food and drink bowls and pick up poop and the like, it’s possible that that will be pretty uncomfortable later in pregnancy.

If you know the dogs well, and have a good system for separating them from baby, I wouldn’t worry as much about boarding dogs in my home while I have an infant, but I’d be SUPER wary of taking them in once the baby starts crawling. Unless you can just always keep them totally separate, that’s a risk I just don’t want to take.

Post # 11
314 posts
Helper bee
  • Wedding: June 2010

I am 31 weeks and I have 2 dogs. We have a 4 year old dog that weighs about 50 lbs and we recently adopted another dog about a month ago who is 5 months old. I still walk my dogs every day, take my puppy to socialization and training classes and we go on long hikes on the weekend. I really think it just depends on your body and how your body handles pregnancy. Can I walk as fast as I used to? No. But if I take breaks on our hikes, I haven’t had any problems. I do agree with everyone that it really depends on what type of dogs you are taking care of and their personalities. I would be really wary of dogs that could pull you really hard or cause you to fall. If you have regular clients and know the dogs, then I don’t see why you couldn’t continue taking care of them like you plan to. I think stopping 2 weeks to a month out from your due date sounds smart.. it is hard to know when you will deliver, so better to not have anything planned.

Post # 12
6009 posts
Bee Keeper
  • Wedding: May 2009

@spraguebride:  That makes sense; I think if you know those dogs, and their well-behaved, 3 months is plenty of time to bring them back into the house.  🙂

The topic ‘Working in 3rd Trimester & After Birth’ is closed to new replies.

Find Amazing Vendors