- 8 years ago
- Wedding: April 2011
A friend of mine lost a bunch of weight (from 175 to 135) in 4 months. She had just had a baby in Oct and wanted to get back into her size 6 pants and she finally hit that goal this week. I’m so proud and impressed that I begged her for advice. Here is what she told me. I’m going to try to go by this plan and I’m really hoping it won’t kill me! Right now I’m only doing 30 minute workouts about 2 times a week and maybe hour-long work outs 2 times a week, plus kind of watching what I eat. Honestly nothing has changed, at least weight-wise. My pants fit a little better but I would really like to see if i can get back into my high school pants. 🙂 Here’s what she says:
Okay, I’m a mesomorph [kwago’s note: I’m an endomorph]. What I did to lose weight can work for you, but you’ll have to be extremely committed to reaching your goals to see any result. Yep, willpower and focus, basically.
I did this:
* Worked out 5-days a week; went to gym at 5:30 a.m. and finished by 6:30. Some weeks I only worked out 2 days a week, but tried to always get full hour in.
* Recommend 1-hour workouts. I think 30-minute work outs are good if you’re maintaining your weight, but for me, I wanted to get to my goal first. Of course, if you do 30-minutes and going to gym 5-6 days a week consistently then you will see result.
* High protein, low carb and low fat can work for most people. I did “carb cycling”. Google to see all the stuff written on this, but I have a buddy who is a personal trainer who swore by it, so that’s how I got my eating into the routine. 🙂 Try this link:
* You need to remember you shouldn’t try to do too much too fast. I had a personal goal of losing at least 1.5 pound a week, then moved that up to a challenging 2.5-lbs a week. Some times I did it, others I failed. 😀
* Oh, you will fail. You’ll slip, you’ll gain a bunch of weight back and think, FUCK IT!” This is so very normal, hon. Happened to me. Just jump right back into it. Don’t “start over” just pick up where you left off.
* As an Endomorph, you have to stick to routine. You can’t float around and sometimes eat right and sometimes work out. So, to make this not overwhelm you, start with a reachable first goal: lose FIVE pounds by the end of July.
* Cardio will burn the fat. But weights will give you definition and toning. You need both. Get some free weights, or ask how to use the different gym machines. RAISE THE WEIGHTS; no girly 5-lbs. You won’t bulk up into a body builder. I use 10, 12, 15 and 20-lb free weights when I work my biceps and triceps, for example. If I used a machine the number would be higher.
Anyway this has really inspired me and given me some pretty good guidelines and motivation. I was really hoping she would say, “I stayed home and ate Cheetos and watched movies” but no luck 🙂 I’m not sure if I can go as hardcore as she did but I at least have to try.
Anyone have advice/words of caution to add to her suggestions?