- 2 years ago
- Wedding: July 2017
We did a month long travel to Australia, NZ and Tahiti. All 3 had different climates so I was really struggling with what to pack. I planned early and really strategized what I brought, so I only ended up bringing one piece of luggage and just my purse as a carry on. Plus, nothing is worse than having to drag your heavy luggage everywhere. A few tips:
1) Pack items that you can mix and match. I packed only 4 pairs of shorts that were all neutral coloured (black, beige, olive green and tan) and I alternated wearing them with different shirts. Same with the shirts, one white t-shirt, one black, one navy blue, one grey. That way you can wear the same thing but still switch up your outfits a bit.
2) ROLL – don’t fold. Roll all of your items if you can. It saves SO much space in a suitcase.
3) Buy cheap “travel bags”, they’re little mesh zippered bags, they kind of look like lunch boxes but they’re super light. I found mine at the dollar store. Not only can you squish more into them, but they help you stay organized.. put all your shirts in one, dresses in another… that way you don’t have to dig through an entire suitcase when you’re looking for something.
4) Avoid jeans if you can – I only packed my favourite pair. Jeans are heavy and will take up a lot of room. Opt for light pants, linen, track pants, etc…
5) Weather/ comfort permitting – WEAR your heaviest item. I had one super comfy black oversized hoodie that would have taken up so much space in my luggage, instead I wore it in the airports and stuffed it in my purse If I got too warm.
6) Bring detergent – you can wash your clothes in the sink if you are desperate (we tried to periodically stay in hotels that offered laundry services.