- 5 years ago
- Wedding: May 2014
Don’t mistake my title or the info in this thread to mean anything against those of you doing something similar. This is just my personal feelings that I’m dealing with. So, Fiance and I went to visit a venue the day after Christmas and I fell absolutely IN LOVE with it…we set our wedding date for May 2014, but were told that the minimum for a Saturday in May is 10,000, which is our WHOLE BUDGET!
We were crushed and moved it to a Sunday in April, which took the minimum down to $6,000, but after the surcharges, it ended up still being $8,000, which only left us 2,000 dollars for everything else. I was incredibly saddened to know that we probably wouldn’t be able to rent out any type of venue, seeing as this was one of the cheaper ones and the price included food, DJ, AND venue rental. So, I had no other option but to look at cheaper options that would still be okay with me.
We found a local community center that, with the right kind of uplighting, looks really nice and has an outdoor amphitheater to rent out for ceremonies. The only problem is, nothing is included in the rental price except tables and chairs, which means I would have to take care of linen rentals, finding a DJ, finding people to help set-up and take-down, and finding a caterer, etc.
I spoke with my mom and she suggested buying fabric at a local store for the tablecloths and asking my aunt to sew them, asking family to cook dishes for the wedding (sort of like a potluck), and spending some money on FI’s ex-coworkers to help with set-up and clean-up, along with talking to some people we know about DJing, as well as getting video and photo students to do the videography and photography.
My reservations about this?
– My dad’s family and I tend to have “expensive-ish” taste and something like this type of wedding may seem “trashy” or “tacky” to them, namely my dad’s mom, who just attended my cousin’s 30,000+ dollar wedding in Texas
– With nobody there that works at the center to do set-up for cocktail hour, reception, etc., I am worried about finding someone to make sure everything runs smoothly and gets set up properly
– There is no bridal room, so getting dressed will be a challenge since my apartment is the only place close to the center and it won’t fit 7 bridesmaids, 2 moms, and me…and I don’t really want the “getting ready” pictures to be in the apartment
– We haven’t fit paying for a limo into our budget, so transportation to the venue in the dress will be a bit of a challenge…
– I REALLY DON’T want Fiance to see me before I walk down the aisle, so I’m worried about finding a place to hide until the ceremony starts
– I’m not sure if there’s a way to do a ceremony rehearsal the night or 2 nights before the wedding, which would be an extra cost too
Do any of these things really seem worth worrying about? Should I be worried about my wedding feeling “tacky” if we go this route? Are there any suggestions for an alternative to a bridal room? Are there any other suggestions you bees have to cut costs for a low-budget wedding (10K)?
Sorry this is so long and thanks for all the suggestions!