Post # 1
Does anyone else feel this way? We’ve only been trying for one cycle but I didn’t get pregnant even with perfect timing. My suspected O was on Monday, 6/27 and we did it Friday, Saturday and Sunday and I got AF yesterday. I just don’t understand how so many people get it on the first try. It seems like every single female I’m friends with on Facebook is pregnant right now and it hurts to see. I know I’m only on my first cycle TTC, but I just have this feeling deep down that I’m going to have trouble conceiving. I went off BC in January and my cycles are so short (25-27 days), which is probably the issue. Is a 3 day variation like that considered an irregular period?
A few years ago when I was on the pill I was getting an ovarian cyst pretty much every month and no one could tell me why. My dr insisted that he didn’t think it was PCOS, but I’m starting to wonder if I’m even ovulating at all. He claimed that I was ovulating while I was on the pill and that’s why I was getting the cysts. I get positive OPKs, however I have no idea if I’m actually ovulating. Last cycle I got 3 days of positives and I’m worried that my body was trying to ovulate and didn’t.
Should I try to BD every other day this cycle? I suppose I could have O’d Tuesday, 6/28 rather than the day before and his sperm count was depleted by Sunday since we did it Friday, Saturday and Sunday (we did not BD Monday or Tuesday). Perhaps we missed it because there wasn’t much left on the last day we did it? Should I worry at this point? I’m just so crushed, I really thought we nailed the timing 🙁
Post # 2
It will take time. I had been charting for a couple months prior to when we FINALLY had good timing, as I had just went off BC and was still trying to figure out my cycle. We had great timing based on what information I already had and when we timed BDing.I recommend charting your temps, as that is a GREAT indicator of when you O, besides the OPKs.
But, something was obviously up and it took 5 MONTHS to conceive, and I was in shock because I felt our timing wasn’t that great the month I got my BFP. And I know I was lucky, as it can take some couples a LOT longer.
How old are you? I know many doctors won’t see anything for fertility issues if it hasn’t been a year, depending on age. I’m currently 35 and was planning on speaking with my doc at my yearly, which would have bee 6 after 6 months of trying… IF nothing had happened.
Chin up… you’ll get it. I wouldn’t worry after one cycle. We started BDing every otehr day after AF ended and a few days after I knew I had O’d. That’s about all you can do.
Post # 3
There is no reason to know or suspect you have fertility issues after one month. In fact, those who really do have fertility issues may be a little upset reading that.
You have around a 25% chance of conceiving each month with no fertility issues AND perfect timing. I mean this with the greatest kindness, truly, but you have to find a way to deal with the stress of knowing that you can’t control this outcome.
Post # 4
I’m 27, which scares me. I really didn’t want to have kids after 30 but that’s what it’s looking like is going to happen since we want 3 total.
Post # 5
It can take a perfectly healthy couple a year or more to get pregnant. With perfect timing you have a 20% chance to get pregnant. Getting knocked up can take time — take a breath, you’re doing fine.
Post # 6
very few people have periods that are the exact same length to the day every month – a few days’ swing is totally normal. If every day didn’t work last cycle try every other this cycle. Some guys need the extra rebound time in order to make enough sperm. Very few people get knocked up on the first try so I wouldn’t worry yet. Unless you have a family history of early menopause I doubt you’re running out of time at 27, but you could ask your doctor to run some ovarian reserve tests if it would calm your mind.
Post # 7
I agree with HughJazz :
people try for years and you’re worried about 1 cycle. Relax. Worrying about all of this after 1 cycle is just going to make it harder to concieve.
Post # 9
I’ll just say it: you need to chill the eff out.
Post # 10
You are still young! 🙂 I was 34 when we starting TTC, as we had gotten married a year prior, and got PG at 35. At 35, I am considered Advanced Maternal Age (AMA), but every doc says that 35 is still young! Again, I feel blessed that it only took 5 months as we figured it would take MUCH longer.
Honestly, I know the feeling month after month when AF shows up. Frustrating, but it will happen when it’s right. No need to stress now. You’ll actually work yourself up more and that doesn’t help. Again, 1 month is not an indicator of fertility issues.
Post # 11
I know this forum is supposed to be all supportive and all…
Supportive me: Really, calm down. You’re 27, it’s been ONE cycle. As others have said, there’s a 20% chance each cycle for normal couples to get pregnant. Something like 85% of normal couples will be pregnant by 6 months. Yes, this is disappointing, but there’s no point in worrying yet.
Infertile me: Seriously, calm the f*k down. It’s been ONE cycle. If you’re worried, go get tested. Otherwise just keep trying. If you think one cycle is bad… try almost 4 goddamn years 60ish eggs retrieved over 4 ivf cycles and one miscarriage. Then maybe complain about worrying about ever having biological children, much less any children by some made up age. Things dont always work out as planned….
Post # 12
You need to relax. You only have a 20% chance of getting pregnant in any given month with perfect timing. That means 80% chance you won’t be pregnant. RELAX. 25-27 day cycles are considered normal and it is not a big deal that they are very slightly shorter than 28 days (which means nothing). If you’re worried about not ovulating then start temping and charting. You don’t know about most of these people on facebook, it could have taken them 1 month or 1 year+ to get pregnant. Wait 6 months before you start to get worried and then you can get bloodwork done. In the meantime, start charting/temping if it will help.
Post # 13
Calm down. If you stress like this one month in you are doing your body no favors.
And people are not going to disclose how long they have been trying. That’s invasive. So don’t look at every pregnant woman and assume they weren’t trying at all or long. That’s rude.
Post # 14
- Wedding: March 2016 - Surfer\'s Beach, Grand Cayman
Getting pregnant on the first try is uncommon, most people without any fertility issues will take months, some up to a year. However I personally wouldn’t rely on just having sex around your suspected ovulation day, you’d be better off doing it every day or every other day for a week around that time. Don’t assume every pregnant woman got pregnant easily, you have no clue when they started trying in most cases.
DH and I had sex daily for a week around suspected ovulation and around every other day for the rest of the month and I got pregnant on the first try, which was some sort of miracle fluke because I do have PCOS and have had years in the past in which I wasn’t ovulating regularly or at all. I thought it would take years.
This is your first month, don’t stress, don’t go crazy with temping and charting and OPK’s, just enjoy each other and the process before worrying about potential issues.
Post # 15
exactly this. I sometimes feel bad complaining and being frustrated after 19 or 20 cycles (I’m losing count..) and one failed IUI because I know there are people who have been trying even longer than me.